WEIRD AL IS CAREFULLY WEIGHING HIS OPTIONS!!!

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

weird user
Addicted

Re: WEIRD AL IS CAREFULLY WEIGHING HIS OPTIONS!!!

Post by weird user »

Killingsworth wrote: If "Face To Face" was any indication I would think that if Al were going to attempt another Weird Al show/AL-TV type series, he;d bring it to YouTube or another corner of the web than attempt to bring it to Television. I mean, think about it...his Cartoon Network screenplay ended up in development hell and the Rabin book tells all about how he was all but creatively stifled by CBS. I have a feeling if Al were that inclined, he would much rather bring his show directly to the masses rather than have to face network suits and their ridiculous demands. Again, "Face To Face" could be seen as another subtle hint towards Al's digitization.
Well, Cartoon Network decided to cancel all of its made-for-TV screenplays, and CBS was strict because The Weird Al Show was supposed to be educational. I'm sure if The Weird Al Show was meant for older audiences Al wouldn't have had to deal with the censors as much.

If Weird Al did a show on MTV or VH1 I don't think he'd have to deal with creative differences as much, though I could be wrong. As far as I know MTV usually didn't interfere much with the AL-TV specials (the 1996 one being the main exception), not sure whether VH1 interfered with the last two specials.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

The last thing I would want to see is Al getting a show on MTV. There would probably be more network interference than CBS. Look at how watered down the last few AL-TVs were before he switched to VH1. Look at any current MTV programming. There couldn't be a worse network for him to appear on.
If Al were ever to get his own show again, the best options would likely be Adult Swim or IFC.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I don't even think MTV (or VH1 for that matter) would ever even mention Al in passing much less give him airtime again. They seem to take themselves to seriously to do so. In the end, I agree with Jon that this would be good for Al considering what decaying hellholes of networks MTV and VH1 have become. It might even be good for MTV or VH1 too, but they're just too full of themselves to realize it.

As far as I can tell, the only ways VH1 may have tried to interfere with AL-TV were making him shorten it to an hour and making him get full permission for the interviews (which ended up killing Al-TV all together). Al has already made cameos on IFC and Adult Swim shows several times to it makes sense that they would better suit him. Even thought I don't see Al getting his own TV show anytime soon, they would probably be the first to give him a real offer.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

TMBJon wrote: Look at how watered down the last few AL-TVs were before he switched to VH1. Look at any current MTV programming. There couldn't be a worse network for him to appear on.
I haven't seen any of the pre-1996 AL-TV specials in full (I've recently found that many of the early ones have been posted online, in multiple parts and without the music videos, so far I've only watched bits and pieces of those, though I did watch all of the 1984 promotional AL-TV video (which was shown without the music videos), which seems to rarely be acknowledged online... it's not mentioned on the official Weird Al site or the wikipedia page on AL-TV, normally the only time I see that one acknowledged is on certain days of the All Things Yankovic "This Day in Al History" section). So the only one I saw on TV with the original format was the 1999 one, was that one "watered down" compared to the pre-1996 ones (of course, of the four I saw on TV, I do like that one the best, though most of the ones I've watched I've only seen a few times)?
Killingsworth wrote:I don't even think MTV (or VH1 for that matter) would ever even mention Al in passing much less give him airtime again. They seem to take themselves to seriously to do so. In the end, I agree with Jon that this would be good for Al considering what decaying hellholes of networks MTV and VH1 have become. It might even be good for MTV or VH1 too, but they're just too full of themselves to realize it.
Really? They wouldn't mention him in passing? I would have thought that his music videos (at least White and Nerdy and Perform This Way) would have gotten a fair amount of airtime on those stations. If that's true as far as VH1 goes, that's sad, considering how much attention the channel gave him back in 1999 (I know, times change, and that was a long time ago).
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

weird user wrote:Really? They wouldn't mention him in passing? I would have thought that his music videos (at least White and Nerdy and Perform This Way) would have gotten a fair amount of airtime on those stations. If that's true as far as VH1 goes, that's sad, considering how much attention the channel gave him back in 1999 (I know, times change, and that was a long time ago).
VH1 was far more generous to him when SOL came out giving him his final AL-TV special, showing him as a guest on Wendy Williams' show and letting him perform White And Nerdy on their "Big In '06" special. MTV would play W&N only a small handful of times as part of their TRL lineup when it came out, but that was about all the airtime I seem to remember MTV giving him.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

To be fair, that was all the airtime MOST artists were getting on MTV.

And these days, most artists would kill for even that 5 seconds of a video accompanied by an unintelligible girl screaming on a TRL type program....
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Considering what people have been saying about MTV and VH1, I wonder if Al was even offered an AL-TV special for the last album.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

weird user wrote:Considering what people have been saying about MTV and VH1, I wonder if Al was even offered an AL-TV special for the last album.
Thanks to Reddit, we do know VH-1 wanted to do a half hour one with him, but he turned them down.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Killingsworth wrote:
weird user wrote:Considering what people have been saying about MTV and VH1, I wonder if Al was even offered an AL-TV special for the last album.
Thanks to Reddit, we do know VH-1 wanted to do a half hour one with him, but he turned them down.
Wow, I know that in an "Ask Al" regarding the 2003 AL-TV he said we should be thankful that VH1 even gave him a special that was only an hour long, but I feel a half-hour one would have been too short. The two VH1 specials that were only an hour each either focused primarily on the interviews with just a few music videos, or primarily on the music videos with just a few interviews. I bet a half-hour one wpould have just been half or less of the music videos from Alpacolypse, plus some introductions.
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

The internet is very popular for any genre of act. I would not be surprised If Al continues his talent for the Internet. YouTube would be perfect for him actually because he could release a weekly style parody AlTV short or something. Google Plus has now gotten involved with YouTube and I could see Al doing monthly hangout sessions with fans where he performs live on the web or he could sign up with stageit.com