WEIRD AL IS CAREFULLY WEIGHING HIS OPTIONS!!!

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

weird user
Addicted

Re: WEIRD AL IS CAREFULLY WEIGHING HIS OPTIONS!!!

Post by weird user »

I hope that he does continue with physical media. I do have an iTunes account and download music, but I'd still like for all of Al's releases to be on a physical CD.

Though I've noticed that all of the Volcano releases have had something to get the public to purchase the CD (instead of the cassette or downloading on iTunes): Running with Scissors had video footage from "(There's No) Coming Home" unnannounced, Poodle Hat had a photo gallery, home movies, and other stuff (announced this time), Straight Outta Lynwood was a dual-sided disc with six music videos, and Alpocalypse had a bonus CD. I have wondered how AL could top his CD releases in this regard.

Some people have wondered about concert tours. Couldn't Al just tour without having to promote a new album? He could take some years off, live off his residuals, and then go on tour for the sake of performing his songs live. Of course, if he's going to stop doing physical media and won't continue touring, this would be a great time for him to attempt a new TV series, maybe a weekly AL-TV or a better Weird Al Show.

I often find it odd when Al refers to his parodies as "dated", or wanting them to be current. While it may seem dated to put out a song that had been out for a few years, the content of his songs usually aren't dated. The majority of his parodies, both before and after I had become a fan (I was born a year after his first album), I heard before hearing the songs they were parodies of. 1999's Running with Scissors is really his only album where I knew the majority of songs he was parodying. When I first heard he was doing an Emeniem parody back in 2003, I was dying to hear "Lose Yourself" to get an idea of what the song was (and when I did, I didn't get an "oh, that song" feeling). I didn't know what song "Ridin'" was until I heard "White and Nerdy", and when I heard about the Lady Gaga parody I didn't know what the original song was (of course I dislike Lady Gaga). But I did know the majority of songs that appear on the various polka medleys before hearing them. I wonder if there's a thread about songs we knew before Al's parodies.

But I feel many of the hits he's parodied are still popular with the generic public. Many people still know "Beat It", "Like a Surgeon", "Gangsta's Paradise", "American Pie" (and that song had been around for three decades when Al parodied it), and "Girl's Just Want to Have Fun". Yeah, he has also parodied a lot of songs that aren't as popular anymore, and there's some I doubt were that popular in the first place.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Re: The Final ALbum

Post by ludovica64 »

the Dingo wrote:
Is it really fair to call Al a horse? I mean, it's not as exciting a headline as "Straight from the human being's mouth", but.....
You try telling Weird Al he is not a horse!!
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

weird user wrote:Though I've noticed that all of the Volcano releases have had something to get the public to purchase the CD (instead of the cassette or downloading on iTunes): Running with Scissors had video footage from "(There's No) Coming Home" unnannounced, Poodle Hat had a photo gallery, home movies, and other stuff (announced this time), Straight Outta Lynwood was a dual-sided disc with six music videos, and Alpocalypse had a bonus CD. I have wondered how AL could top his CD releases in this regard.
Both of his last albums had music videos for all of the originals (and almost all of the parodies in the case of the latter) included on a physical release along with the album in some form. However, while Straight Outta Lynwood also had 5.1 Surround Sound/PCM Stereo/Karaoke mixes of the songs and a 9 minute "making of" documentary included with its release Alpocalypse only had videos on a separate disc. After moving up with technology in the post Volcano era and moving slowly down with his last album, I think Al might be thinking that "less is more" in terms of bonus album content and may not be providing much more than a video for every song in the near future. These could've been subtle hints that Al was going all digital. In fact, they speak more toward indicating that possibility than anything.
weird user wrote: Some people have wondered about concert tours. Couldn't Al just tour without having to promote a new album? He could take some years off, live off his residuals, and then go on tour for the sake of performing his songs live. Of course, if he's going to stop doing physical media and won't continue touring, this would be a great time for him to attempt a new TV series, maybe a weekly AL-TV or a better Weird Al Show.
If "Face To Face" was any indication I would think that if Al were going to attempt another Weird Al show/AL-TV type series, he;d bring it to YouTube or another corner of the web than attempt to bring it to Television. I mean, think about it...his Cartoon Network screenplay ended up in development hell and the Rabin book tells all about how he was all but creatively stifled by CBS. I have a feeling if Al were that inclined, he would much rather bring his show directly to the masses rather than have to face network suits and their ridiculous demands. Again, "Face To Face" could be seen as another subtle hint towards Al's digitization.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Recently, Bermuda was on the I'd Hit That podcast for drummers. He weighed in on this debate and he speculates that Al may not resign with his label after this album.

He says the label might not still be around by the time this album is out and there may not be anyone left there to sign Al (because who knows where the record industry is headed?)

He also says Al has a good enough relationship with iTunes (because they've sold enough product for him) that he can get a song out when he wants a song out because he's an established act. Finally, he discusses the possibility of the band pressing their own CDs to sell at concerts as merchandise.

These comments can be heard around the 1hr22m mark. It's also interesting to hear Bermuda just talk about the general state the industry is in and where it may be headed soon.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Oh you know people are gonna make jokes about Al only being able to sell CD-Rs now.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Frankly, I hope that Al signs with some indie label like Weezer did when they ditched Geffen and went to Epitaph. That would be awesome.

Physical media will never die, it will just shrink.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Way_Moby wrote: Physical media will never die, it will just shrink.
I think you're right... after all, vinyl is still with us, even if on a small scale.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Speaking of vinyl, the guy I hung with at the Columbus show had the In 3-D Vinyl album cover to get signed in front of me. When he took it to Al, Al commented on how much he loved vinyl records. Said that he was thrilled that they were able to get Alpocalypse on vinyl, and hoped to get the upcoming album on vinyl, as well.
gtrmu
Off The Deep End

Post by gtrmu »

Killingsworth wrote:Recently, Bermuda was on the I'd Hit That podcast for drummers. He weighed in on this debate and he speculates that Al may not resign with his label after this album.

He says the label might not still be around by the time this album is out and there may not be anyone left there to sign Al (because who knows where the record industry is headed?)

He also says Al has a good enough relationship with iTunes (because they've sold enough product for him) that he can get a song out when he wants a song out because he's an established act. Finally, he discusses the possibility of the band pressing their own CDs to sell at concerts as merchandise.

These comments can be heard around the 1hr22m mark. It's also interesting to hear Bermuda just talk about the general state the industry is in and where it may be headed soon.

Very interesting listen! I agree with his views on the industry. It's not what it used to be. Personally I see bands doing what comedians like Louis CK are doing: offering their music directly to the consumer and cutting out the middle man entirely.

Also noted that Bermuda talks about using a click track.....
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I had a feeling this kind of announcement was eventually coming, but I hope Al will continue to release some form of physical media, even in small quantities. There's just something about owning the music in a physical format that can make a fan happy. I know I'm very happy when a new cd is released. So I at least hope that every so often, he will continue to release the music in some physical format after the contract has expired.