Pop Culture References

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

"Funky cold medina" in "Isle Thing" is a reference back to the lyrics of the tune Al parodied, "Wild Thing." I guess the funky cold medina itself is kind of a hip-hop update of the idea behind "Love Potion #9," only a little more indelicate. The part about the dog, for example. :blush:

Not only that, "Funky Cold Medina" was the title of Tone Loc's only other hit song. (Tone Loc is the band behind "Wild Thing").
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

NOTE: I'm not finished yet, so tune back in. I wanted to get this saved before it disappeared into cyber-heaven.... I can't believe how many references are in this song. It must be a record for Mr. Pop Culture Cuisenart... I have been chasing references for about 2 hours and still am only about halfway done... WHEW!

What a herculean task! You're definitely putting yourself in the running to edit the Annotated Al someday.

BTW, you do realize, don't you, that by calling Al "Mr. Pop Culture Cuisinart" you have introduced ANOTHER pop culture reference or two into this discussion? :P
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

Not only that, "Funky Cold Medina" was the title of Tone Loc's only other hit song. (Tone Loc is the band behind "Wild Thing").

Actually, Tone Loc isn't a band. It's the name of the rapper who performed those two songs.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

What a herculean task! You're definitely putting yourself in the running to edit the Annotated Al someday.

BTW, you do realize, don't you, that by calling Al "Mr. Pop Culture Cuisinart" you have introduced ANOTHER pop culture reference or two into this discussion? :P

I was down to almost the last reference... and my netscape bit the dust... Oh the humanity! Trying to see if it's hiding in a cache somewhere...

<Banging head on desk...>

Nope they're gone... And I was just about to look up Oprah Winfrey <Sob!> :mad: I know, I know. It's my own fault for not saving it... I'll finish it again tomorrow Seva!
KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

I was wondering if "Look ma no cavities!" was from something other than Spike Jones' "The Late Late Movies Pt 2"....and here I was hoping for a Spike Jones reference....but I guess the polkas are as close as you get.

"Look ma! No cavities! ' Look again you little monster!' *GLASS SHATTERS* 'Whaaaaa ha ha ha!"

I love George Rock.

The section about LIONS EAT CHRISTIANS, I'm guessing is showing how outta control reality TV is getting. This was something the Romans did back in the day.
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I was wondering if "Look ma no cavities!" was from something other than Spike Jones' "The Late Late Movies Pt 2"....and here I was hoping for a Spike Jones reference....but I guess the polkas are as close as you get.
"Look ma! No cavities! ' Look again you little monster!' *GLASS SHATTERS* 'Whaaaaa ha ha ha!"
I love George Rock.
The section about LIONS EAT CHRISTIANS, I'm guessing is showing how outta control reality TV is getting. This was something the Romans did back in the day.

I guess you'll just have to wait til I get it finished. Again!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'll stick in these couple of things here (because I don't know where else to put them) while we're waiting for Scotti to finish her Annotated Guide to Couch Potato.

Late-night channel-surfing (flip, flip, flip): I caught the very end of a Simpsons rerun that had Homer and Bart visiting a.... leper colony... for a vacation ("Welcome Leprous Knights Of Columbus!"). Could that have been what planted the seed of P@TLC in Al's fertile brain? Of course, a tourist guide to Hawaii could have done as much, but I wondered.

A show apparently devoted to people who have already rotted their brains from too much TV: A college student who worked at a hotdog-on-a-stick place who didn't know what a "frankfurter" was, and a guy who lived in Riverside, CA who didn't know that Mexicali (170 miles away) was on the border of Mexico and California (and he seemed to think that the United States was a foreign country, too).

My favorite, though, was the one where the host hid behind a photo of the star in question and asked, "My real name is Marshall Mathers, but you know me as...?" And the student from the hotdog place said, "You're that guy from 'nSYNC!" LOL! :biggrin:
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I caught the very end of a Simpsons rerun that had Homer and Bart visiting a.... leper colony... for a vacation ("Welcome Leprous Knights Of Columbus!"). Could that have been what planted the seed of P@TLC in Al's fertile brain?

Speaking of that...I found it very odd while watching Whose Line a couple days ago. They were playing the hats game for the dating video. Wayne had on a Mexican hat and went, "I want to be your beef burrito."

I know at some point, someone else had on a sailor's hat and went, "I want to be your love torpedo."

-CindyBob
Pattimash
Occasional

READ THE BOOK

Post by Pattimash »

Wasn't "Read the book" taken from L. Ron Hubbard commercials for that crazy new philosophy book Dianetics? That's the image I always got. It may not, I don't know. Just had to throw that out there for your consideration.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It could be. I do remember there was quite a push to sell Dianetics. My memory is the Arthur S. DeMoss thing. But then, what do I know?

For those who don't know: L. Ron Hubbard (yes, the scifi author) and Dianetics = Scientology.