(Over)analyze This

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

scottidog @ Dec 23 2004, 02:34 AM wrote: OE, another bit of evidence for your Canadian theory... the French named Bernie. Perhaps a hitchhiker from one of the French speaking provinces?
In that case, he must have flown or drove in from eastern Canada. If you're assuming they live in Alberta, I believe that is a primarily English-speaking province on the west side of Canada; the provinces with the most French-speaking people (Quebec and New Brunswick, and I believe Ontario has a decent-sized French-speaking population too) are all on the EAST side of Canada.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Not necessarily. They didn't start the trip with Bernie. They picked him up along the way. Who knows how long he'd been on the road...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Another over analyzation about TBBOTIM...

Then Bernie ran away with my brand new Instamatic, but at least we've got our memories

Considering that the camera is an Instamatic, wouldn't they have gotten the photo in addition to the fond memories? Or did Bernie run off with the picture too?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

The film was still in the camera. Despite the name, and Instamatic doesn't give you instant pictures like a Polaroid.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

anthontherun @ Dec 22 2004, 01:34 PM wrote: But the song was recorded on May 24, 1989.
Doing a little research on the Instamatic, I find that the vacation in question had to have happened between 1988 and the date the song was written. Unless of course, Canadian "Al" had access to European Instamatics, then it could have happened as early as 1985. Well, assuming "Al" didn't actually invent it (during his off hours from BRH&P) and had the actual prototype. In which case, it could have been earlier than that.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Instamatics (by Kodak) were invented in 1963. I remember having one of those pocket instamatics in the late 70s. What a piece o' crap camera that was.

Another lyrical dilemma I discovered last night, is that they apparently went to the Last Chance Gas Station right before they visited the Twineball. There may be more than one, but the most famous one is on the edge of Death Valley.
This means something. This is important.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

:lol: Death Valley, California? There are more than one, it's not a chain, but it's a popular name for...last chance gas stations.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

The info page I found for Instamatics listed the dates I referenced... <shrug> Anyhooo....

Lots of dinky gas stations have a "Last Chance for gas" sign. So he may have been just talking about that rather than the actual name of the station. Kind of like lots of little diners have that "Eat" sign but I don't think it's a whole chain of diners called "Eat."
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Sorry for breaking your deep analysis, just a short explanation for a dumb Russian guy, OK? And then you may return to your regularly scheduled step-by-step over-the-edge research. ^_^ You might happen to discuss it before, so sory again if I bothered you.
In "Amish Paradise" Al mentions "Robinson Caruso". Why that? I always thought it was Robinson Crusoe! Please help!

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It is Robinson Crusoe. You know, the guy marooned on a deserted island, finds a sidekick he names Friday.