Style Parody Wishes

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

TOM WAITS!!!!

Actually, "Hardware Store" recalls Waits muscially in places (especially the opening with the weird sound effects of sawing and banging), but not so much in the singing.

Meadows
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

I meant that Hardware Store is like Gilbert and Sullivan in that the lyrics are quick and there's alot of syllables in each line. Of course, alot of Al's songs can fit in that category, but the choir singing in the song also makes it seems operatic. Also, it's comedy, like Gilbert and Sullivan.

Sorry to give you a music wedgie. :biggrin:

I'd still like a straight on Gilbert and Sullivan style parody orchestrated and everything. Al singing in a British accent would be great too.
Egg Land Fondue?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE I'd still like a straight on Gilbert and Sullivan style parody orchestrated and everything. Al singing in a British accent would be great too.

Al doing an opera parody....that'd be a new one!

Then again, Tom Lehrer once did a brilliant parody of Gilbert & Sullivan's IATVMOAMMG where he ran down all the elements on the periodic table.

Meadows
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

I love that song! Started singing in chemistry once last year, that made people give me an odd look. Never did memorize the whole thing.

"I hope you're all paying attention, there'll be a quiz next period." :biggrin:

Weird Al said he likes rap songs because they contain alot of lyrics, so I'd assume a Gilbert and Sullivan style parody on some odd subject would get him going.

I've also sang "I am the very model of a modern major general", got alot of odd looks from that too.

I get alot of odd looks apparently. :crazy:
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE I love that song! Started singing in chemistry once last year:

I never had the guts to actually sing the song in class, but I remember I did give a tape of the song to my High School chemistry teacher and he played it for the class. I think he may have given me a little extra credit for it, but I still ended up pulling a "C" in the class...

Meadows
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Hmmm.....

a Green Day/blink style song (pop punk)

Beastie Boys

Macy Gray (just for the heck of it)
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
Tim E. Tanga61
Die-hard Fan

Re: Style Parody Wishes

Post by Tim E. Tanga61 »

QUOTE In this thread lets discuss what genre

Don't you mean gender (haha :biggrin: )

A Queen style parody would be difficult but really cool. It would also be cool if he did something like Bulbous Bouffant by the Vestibules :bigups:.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

QUOTE Hmmm.....

a Green Day/blink style song (pop punk)

Beastie Boys

Macy Gray (just for the heck of it)

I agree with the Green Day/Blink style parody, but Al already did the Beasties with "Twister".

Meadows