I Remember Larry

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I love the song....it's hard to listen to, because my cousin's name was larry, and he passed away....but he was a jokester, so it always brings a tear to my eye and a smile to my face....that song is everything my cousin was...

Sarah

well except the last verse.... :lookround:
KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

Does the music & vocal of this song remind anyone else a little of the Monkees?
Now that you mention it, yes... yes, the music & vocals do sound a bit Monkees.

p.s. Cousin Larry got OLD!
:P :P :P

I posted somewhere about Larry sounding like a song I had heard that was a PARODY of the Monkee's song, "Pleasant Valley SUNDAY"(got it right that time ;))

Since then, though, I heard a recording of the song(not the actual recording, some weird thing like a karaoke file or something) and it didn't have the part in it that reminds me of the last part of "I Remember Larry".

You can hear a live verion at http://www.monkees.net/singal.htm of "Pleasant Valley Sunday", but it doesn't include the fadeout distortion like the song I have. And it's not the whole song that sounds like it(well, atleast, not to me =/) but the end where they're singing "Another pleasant valley(another pleasant valley someday!) someday" sounds like Al singing "I Remember Larry!"

Well, you'll just have to hear for yourself. It sounds like it to me, but I might be way off.

As far as the song goes, it's ranks up there with my ABSOLUTE favorite songs. Dare to be Stupid, I Remember Larry, Hardware Store, GREAT originals! My favorite songs by Weird Al!
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
Medemia
Occasional

Post by Medemia »

And who couldn't love the pun "even Larry has to agree, it was a pretty good gag?" I like the song, I think this was the line the whole song was built off of though. Not that it's bad, but that's the punchline. Situational satire and wildest-dreams make this funny.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

"Pleasant Valley SUNDAY"(got it right that time ;))
Since then, though, I heard a recording of the song(not the actual recording, some weird thing like a karaoke file or something)

Old. I'm so old. I remember Pleasant Valley Sunday. When it was on TV.

Favorite Monkee? Davy Jones was cute, but I loved Mickey Dolenz. Still do. He's got a great voice, and he's very funny.

Resume topic now... I'll be out on the front porch in my rocking chair.
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Could someone please PM me the backwards message? Is the only way to hear it is on the album or can you get a tape or CD to play backwards? i don't have the album, but I do have it on tape and CD.

Cid
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Cid, there is a link to a file if you just scroll up a bit. It's a wav file, I think.
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Cid, there is a link to a file if you just scroll up a bit. It's a wav file, I think.
I couldn't get it to open.

cid
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

Favorite Monkee? Davy Jones was cute, but I loved Mickey Dolenz. Still do. He's got a great voice, and he's very funny.

Resume topic now... I'll be out on the front porch in my rocking chair.

Awe...!

Okay, I wasn't born yet when the Monkees were on originally, but I do consider myself a huge fan. I can pick out a small resemblance between the two songs (& my favorite Monkee is Micky, too :D )

I love "I Remember Larry"... it's one of my favorites to sing along with.
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Lauren27 wrote:

I'm rocking on the porch with you. In fact a certain Bob here at the forum gave me and kevin 2 Monkees singles for Christmas - They are awsome!!
Larry
Occasional

Post by Larry »

Well I think it is one of the funniest of his songs. Did you get the "it was a pretty good GAG" line? Funny stuff. The whole thing is GOLD.