First post!: Old Al or New Al?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Yeah, probably you're right... And I'm very glad somebody created that thread, 'cause that question bothers me TOO much. Of course, Al's new look got a huge influence on his music, and when I hear some particular song, I imagine various looks when Al sings - "Truck Driving Song" is sure his new-look achievement. But see, in "Poodle Hat" some songs or lines - the "Last Nite" segment in "AWBP" for example - sound like old Al! No, really! I still wonder how he didn't get older for these years.

Anyway, the new look is great, but sometimes I miss those glasses and moustache... awwwww...

SEVA.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

QUOTE Yeah, probably you're right... And I'm very glad somebody created that thread, 'cause that question bothers me TOO much. Of course, Al's new look got a huge influence on his music, and when I hear some particular song, I imagine various looks when Al sings - \"Truck Driving Song\" is sure his new-look achievement. Really? I'd think it would be funnier to imagine the pink angora, nail polish, etc., with the shorter hair and the moustache. QUOTE Anyway, the new look is great, but sometimes I miss those glasses and moustache... awwwww... Well, the moustache at least does make occasional encore appearances (accompanied by goatee, generally).
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

QUOTE Really? I'd think it would be funnier to imagine the pink angora, nail polish, etc., with the shorter hair and the moustache.

Not to mention nipple rings... LOL! :biggrin: But come on, OE, you know what I meant - I don't think Al was able to sing so low when he was younger.

And what is a goatee? Dang it, I will bring a dictionary next time! :mad:

P.S. Don't wanna leave you with a "mad" smile, so - :) . Hope that helps.

SEVA.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It's hard to describe, but here's Al in a Goatee

http://www.weirdal.com/thelook1.htm

What do they call it in Russian?

According to dictionary.com: "A small chin beard trimmed into a point."

I didn't know it was supposed to be trimmed to a point. Ewww.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Wow, that's great, thanks! And Al's so cute... don't take that too serious. :)

In Russian, there is "boroda" for beard, "borodka" that Al has and "kozleenaya borodka", which literally means goatee but that is sure not the one Al has. Hope that helps! If there any Russian questions too, just let me know!

SEVA.

And plus one question on English grammar - I'm amazed when you say "IN a goatee", not "WITH a goatee". What gives???
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

QUOTE And plus one question on English grammar - I'm amazed when you say \"IN a goatee\", not \"WITH a goatee\". What gives???

We're funny with our English, I guess. I have no idea why some of us do that. For some, I guess it makes more sense in their head.

Anyone with a English major here?

On topic, I do like Al's new look more though. Though, I wonder if you include the goatee with the new look. ;)

-CindyBob
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Don't get me wrong, I love ALL of al's songs but after hearing the newer stuff (PH, RWS, BHD, OTDE) the 80's stuff sounds more like its aimed at kids. Al seems to have 'grown up' a little bit. I think i PREFER the 90's stuff.
weirdalison
Occasional

Post by weirdalison »

i like all of al's stuff. as for his look, have you noticed that al looks alot younger than he did back in the day? i think i figured out his secret. he sucks the youth out of his fans!! everyone says his music is"aimed at children" but alot of his fans are old. thats because listening to al makes you old, and it makes him younger. that way, he'll be able to entertain us for all eternity!! look at me, i was 10 when i became a fan, and now im 17! it's already started! AHH!!
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

ahh is that how it works?

I agree, he looks WAY younger.....a lot younger than 43 (isn't that it?) and a couple pictures on weirdal.com he looks REALLY young! (no not the childhood photos, although he's adorable in those, also) and on the video to the Saga Begins.....he looks like he's about 25 with that wig.....

Sarah
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Wouldn't it be weird if they replaced Al with a new guy and just called him Weird Al? I've been thinking about making an "Al is Dead" website. Any Bealtes fan will get it but for those of you who don't let me explain. In the 70's, a lot of people thought Paul McCartney (from the Beatles) died and that the other Bealtes found a substitue and called him Paul McCartney. It was a huge contrivercy. Then they started finding 'vlues' in Bealtes music. Clues like backwards recordings that say Paul is dead. It was kind of like finding 27's in Al's music,movies, music videos, etc.

You could do the same thing about Al. Think about it, RWS was the first album with Al's new look. The last video made before RWS was the Spy Hard Theme, in which his head exploded. Everyone thought it was a gag, but what if it was real. Volcano couldn't just say THAT, Al is what keeps them going. So, they find a new guy to write parodies and sing Al's songs and say "Al has a new look!"

So If I made an "Al Is Dead" website parodying the "Paul Is Dead" contriversy, would you all support me?