Wearing out CDs?

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I made a copy so I don't have to move it from my comp to my CD player...aren't I lazy? The only thing I found is that if you just copy disk you lose the extra features...I don't know if you could copy an additional data disk for the extra features...I might have to try that....

Sarah
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

I would exchange the disk, then....most stores have no problem with replacing a disk...they just don't do money back.....if they don't see any huge scratches there would be no problem....especially if you bought the disk at a target wal mart or k mart, they do stuff like that all the time, where specialty stores are a tad more careful, but again, if there are no scratches just explain it is defective....

Sarah
SilentKnight

Post by SilentKnight »

I made a copy so I don't have to move it from my comp to my CD player...aren't I lazy? The only thing I found is that if you just copy disk you lose the extra features...I don't know if you could copy an additional data disk for the extra features...I might have to try that....

Sarah

Not if you copy it right. don't cpy the wav files off the disc, instead make a complete disc image. Many program allow you to copy discs to ISO or BIN images. If yours doesn't, get one that does.
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

do you know a good program to do that....mine will..but it isn't very user friendly....

Sarah
SilentKnight

Post by SilentKnight »

do you know a good program to do that....mine will..but it isn't very user friendly....

Sarah

Well, not any that are really user friendly. All the user friendly ones are expensive, and I only use freeware stuff. The most user friendly one I can recommend is isobuster www.isobuster.com . You can copy the CD image to your drive with that by just opening the program, choosing the drive teh CD is n, then right clicking the CD tree that appears on the left panel and choosing "Extract CD <image>" then choose RAW. You'll have to burn it with another program though, since isobuster only rads CDs, doesn't burn. However most CD burning software can burn CD images.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

CDs don't wear out. They just can't. They can only wear from damage:

Exposed to sunlight
Exposed to heat
Fingerprings
Scratches

etc, that kind of stuff. You probably scratched it.
I pretty much agree with this statement. However, once a long time ago, my dad had a CD that worked perfectly for a while. He put it away and didn't listen to it for a long time. When he got it back out, it wouldn't play in any CD player, and it wasn't scratched at all. Was stored in a cool dry place in it's case indoors the whole time, so the disc must have simply "gone bad." Anyway, I doubt this is the case with the original poster's Poodle Hat CD, and anyway even if the disc is bad, it shouldn't be too hard to get it exchanged at the store.

Well, there is a fungus that eats CDs, but I doubt that happened...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

Sarah

You can copy the enhanced portion. I did.

You must have a computer CD burner, and use a program (such as Nero) to make an image file of the entire CD (it will be about 600 MB), and then burn that. The enhanced stuff will be on there.

If you're using an audio CD burner deck, forget it.
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

I don't know, mine just skips during tracks 5 and 6. And those are the tracks I most listen to too, hmm...
ilikecheezealot
Occasional

Post by ilikecheezealot »

-edit: Couldn't get the pic to work, just ignore this post-
weirdojace
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdojace »

I don't know, mine just skips during tracks 5 and 6. And those are the tracks I most listen to too, hmm...

Is that portion of the disc scratched? Because there is no possible way a laser beam could wear a CD.