Advice on Frank Zappa

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

No wonder Al likes his music. The song titles crack me up, I guess I'm gonna have to expand my musical horizons a little more and check his stuff out.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

No wonder Al likes his music. The song titles crack me up, I guess I'm gonna have to expand my musical horizons a little more and check his stuff out.

Definitely check it out...it's great stuff! But just a word of caution to those with children: don't expect squeaky-clean, family-friendly material on the order of Al. Zappa can tend to get a little "adult", especially in some of his later works like Sheik Yerbouti ("Bobby Brown", for example, is extremely filthy!) I think Strictly Commercial is mostly safe, though. That may be your best bet if you want a crash-course in FZ (it was my first Zappa album, too!)

Meadows
cheesetoast

Post by cheesetoast »

i like the part of the song where it goes

Like a fine Renoir (waa!), I've got that je ne sais quoi (quoi!)

Like a fine Renoir (ooh la la!), I've got that je ne sais...

Quoi quoi quoi quoi quoi, oo-we-oo

Quoi quoi quoi quoi quoi, oo-we-oo

is that style from a frank zappa song or something? it's just so funky, i have to crank it whenever i hear it.
OneNote
Occasional

Titties and Beer

Post by OneNote »

I went hunting for Zappa songs after GIF and the one that cracks me up the most is "Titties and Beer". I've got a copy of it live and it cracks me up big time.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

"Where's those titties I like so well? And my goddamn beer?" is what I started to yell!
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

I don't know if anybody has mention this yet or not, but Yellow Snow fetures "GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!" It was very cool to find where Al got that from.

This is how Zappa clueless I am.. I heard that in GIF, and thought, "oh cool! He used a line from Maggie & the Ferocious Beast!" (for those of you who don't have children that subject you to cartoons 24/7, The Ferocious Beast always says "GREAT GOOGILY MOOGILY!" at least once each show). I wonder if the creators of that show are Zappa fans?

-Shelley
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

I'm not a huge Zappa fan, but I know a few songs. I think "Catholic Girls" is one of the greatest songs ever (beter than Al????). I LOVE they way he says 'girls', its SOOOOOOOO funny. If you haven't heard the song, go download it! I'm a huge Bealtes fan so I realy liked his version of "I Am The Walrus".
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Wasn't GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY used in some commercial a few years back? I had no idea it was a Zappa reference...
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

The first I thought of when I heard that was when Orlando Jones said "GREAT GOOGA MOOGA!" in Evolution.
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

QUOTE Wasn't GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY used in some commercial a few years back?  I had no idea it was a Zappa reference...

Yeah, it was a Snickers commercial I think... and that was where I knew the phrase from as well.

Adrian