Re-visiting Old Theories

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

BLG123
Occasional

Re-visiting Old Theories

Post by BLG123 »

Now that Poodle Hat has been out for a week, lets go back and think of all the artists/songs we expected to be parodied or put in a polka that we were right about or wrong.

The only song we knew for sure was Party at the Leper Colony, and I remember reading something about a song called 99 Balloons or something like that. But there were many more theories, and I don't think anyone expected a Billy Joel parody.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

99 balloons was done in one of the Polkas, but for the life of me I can't think of which one.

Good topic, perhaps if we re-read the old topic it would be easier to discuss.
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

99 balloons was done in one of the Polkas, but for the life of me I can't think of which one.

"99 Luftballons" by German pop singer Nena appeared on the "Hooked On Polkas" on the 1985 album Dare To Be Stupid.

Dr. Dad

[I'll GET to that review -- I SWEAR, Scotti!!!!!]
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Can't you dictate it and get one of your lackey's to type it up for you?
Jebediah
Occasional

my predictions

Post by Jebediah »

I posted these predictions in mid-March on a different message board with no knowledge of the album:

With the success of "All About the Pentiums", Weird Al will probably try spoofing another rap. Possibly Nelly's "Hot in Herre" or Eminem or 50 Cent or something of that nature.
He will probably spoof one of the crappy teenybopper artists that are popular now, like the Backstreet Boys or NSYNC or Britney Spears. Personally, I think it would be funny to hear him spoof Avril Lavigne.
I would really like to hear Weird Al do a Dave Matthews parody. Dave has a new album out, "Busted Stuff", that would be ripe for spoof.
How funny would it be to hear a parody of a song from Springsteen's latest album, "The Rising"?
"The Saga Begins", a parody of the classic "American Pie", was very popular on Al's last album. Maybe a spoof of another classic song is in store? I know there's a rising surge of Beatlemania, and Paul McCartney has that new live album out. I've heard that Paul McCartney is rather supportive of Weird Al. Perhaps a McCartney or Beatles parody is in the works. I've got my fingers crossed.
Perhaps a Norah Jones parody? She did sweep the Grammys.

I was pretty on-target with many of these predictions, eh? I nailed "Hot in Herre", Eminem, Avril Lavigne, Backstreet Boys, and a classic song. While there were Dave Matthews, Bruce Springsteen, Beatles, or Norah Jones, I was in the ballpark for many of these predictions.
-- Jebediah, always at my PC double-clicking on my mizouse
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

I know most of my friends and I predicted Chop Suey would be involved with the new album, in our minds there was no doubt.
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

QUOTE Well here's some of my specualtions of possible artists that might be parodied.  One major thing to keep into consideration is that I've found that Weird Al tends to parody artists/songs that were big in the last two or three years.  (So in other wards stuff between 2000 and 2002, with the slight possibility of 2003):

Nickelback, Creed, Theory of a Dead Man and any of those other Pearl Jam-ish Grunge bands with singer that some times sound lie Cher

My top pick for who Weird Al will proabably parody, be it a song parody a style parody or a poka.  Weird Al's defienlty got the hair anyways.

Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte, and other punk pop bands

Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, linknin Park, and other groups in the rap-rock category

This is slightly less likely since he did direct the music video for Ben Folds' Rockin the Suburbs, a song which spoof the genre, but it is still possible.  

Hives, Vines, White Stripes, Strokes, and other garage rock bands

It was the big thing last year, so it's a definite possibility.

Christina Augulera

Mayeb Dirrty or Beautiful.  I don't think Weird Al will parody Britney mainly because she really hasn't had anythign worth parodying that hasn't already been done to death.

Justin Timberlake

Nelly

The only other rapper besides Eminem that I could see parodying with the possible excpetion of Ja Rule.  However I think Nelly has a higher chance of being parodied than either of them.

Avril Lavigne

She's been one fo the big artists in the past year, although she has been parodied several times already by other artists.

Led Zeppelin

Okay this is one of those long shots, but I don't think Weird Al has ever parodied them before, and you can never get tired of Led Zeppelin.

Ozzy Osbourne

Another long shot.  But since Ozzy has had a hit tv show Weird Al but decide to do a song about him.

Pink

Get This Party Started just sounds like perfect polka potential.

Moby

This is a real slim chance, but it would definelty be a surprise to see Weird Al tackle a Moby Tune.  Or even do a techno style song  :biggrin:  

Also there is teh possibilites of Weird Al maybe doing a bluegrass tune since Banjos were listed under instruments.  Dave Matthews does sound like a possibilty, although it's more liekly he would do a song in the style of Dave Matthews than a regular parody. As for the possible surprise he could always do somethign really insane like cover a Bob Rivers song since there are so many of his songs that have been creditted to Weird Al, or maybe for the first time ever one of his singles will be a polka.

[/b]

Well I predicted that Hot in Here by Nelly would somehow be involved (although I thought it would more likely be in a polka). I also thought that Al would also parody Avril in a song, and proabably somehow spoof the Rap-Rock Genre and teh Garage Rock craze (both involved in the Angry White Boy Polka) However I still am disappointed he didn't do a parody of Nickelback/Creed/ any of the other Pearl Jam wannabe groups.
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

99 balloons. It was 16 balloons, an mp3 floating around a website being called "New weird al original" told by my friend, and was said by bermuda that he had never even heard of it and was turned down back in march.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.