AL-ifying Canada

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

HalifaxKat
Regular

AL-ifying Canada

Post by HalifaxKat »

Hey all, I wanted to open up a thread for Canada, although anyone can participate, of course! Discussions can include anything of special interest to Canadians, from organizing local fan events (has there ever been any kind of mini convention up here?) to casual get-togethers, to missions and petitions such as campaigning to get Al a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame! OK, I know he doesn’t qualify, so that one’s out... but a sculpture or painting of him somewhere else downtown would be pretty sweet, no? I mean, he has had his trademark Vans on display at the Bata Shoe Museum, after all! So where else does a piece of Al memorabilia (or his likeness) belong in Canada? Ideas?

I am also curious to see if there are more than like, 5 or 6 Canadian fans posting on the forum. I know we’re a sparsely populated country, but... seriously? Reveal thyselves!!! :w

p.s. Hope I've posted this in the right place, as it wouldn't give me the option of creating a new thread in the International section nor would it allow me to respond to the old Canadian fan thread. If any issues at all, feel free to move it.
Last edited by HalifaxKat on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: AL-ifying Canada

Post by Yankomaniac »

I haven't heard of any type of Al anything around here. Hope there are alot of Canadian dates next spring and summer when the tour resumes though.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
ferdinand
Occasional

Post by ferdinand »

I live in the States, but my dad is from Canada, and my grandma and aunts and uncles and cousins live there. My family goes to Canada three times a year.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

That's cool, Ferdinand. Where in Canada (like what province) do you visit with your family?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein
kbel

Post by kbel »

I don't post much at all, but I'm from York Region, have lived in New Brunswick and currently reside in Toronto.

If they actually still cared about music, I'd say that the MuchMusic studio on Queen St (in Toronto) ought to have some Weird Al memorabilia, considering how much time he spent there in the '90s. As for Canadian tour dates: the French Just For Laughs interview mentioned a Canadian tour in 2012! I haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else, but here's hoping. I wasn't yet an Al fan back in the days when he did lots of Canadian dates.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Oh it's definitely coming! Hopefully he does Montreal again and doesn't skip it, I'd like to catch him there. And here in Ottawa again of course. I'm guessing he'd not do Toronto again so soon though, if he did I'd go again, that was a good venue for an Al concert!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

I hope he goes to Montreal as well. He doesn`t realize the high number of fans he has in the whole province of Quebec.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
ferdinand
Occasional

Post by ferdinand »

HalifaxKat wrote:That's cool, Ferdinand. Where in Canada (like what province) do you visit with your family?
Southeast Ontario.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.
HalifaxKat
Regular

Post by HalifaxKat »

Here's Al talking about how he feels like an "honourary Canadian" during his most recent trip to Toronto (around the 6:00 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZzNaFLcRU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kbel -- I was wondering about MuchMusic too, but I wasn't sure where the stuff would actually go. Have you been in the building recently? What's in there that's accessible to the public?

I wonder if the Hard Rock Cafe at Yonge/Dundas could display some Al stuff? If not, I bet some other restaurant downtown could be convinced to hang a framed autographed picture on their wall, at the very least. Especially if Al had actually eaten there before and the owners remembered him. Hmmm... (wheels spinning)...
― Albert Einstein
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That was pretty funny. He appears to actually love Toronto, his reactions to the questions were awesome.