Al On Abc Melbourne

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Here is a recent radio interview Al did with ABC Melbourne. The part with Al starts about 9 minutes into it and takes about 20 minutes.

You are prompted to d/l a 18 MB MP3
This means something. This is important.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

That was a pretty good interview. Always nice to hear Al's dulcet tones. :inlove:
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Leigh
Occasional

Post by Leigh »

Great interview...thanks for posting it. :)
Poptronixx
Die-hard Fan

Post by Poptronixx »

Nice interview. Thanks weird_el :peace:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

weird_el @ Mar 6 2007, 04:08 PM wrote: Here is a recent radio interview Al did with ABC Melbourne.
Very fun interview. Who knew Al had buttons on his accordion that control his garage door? :lol:

For me the money quote was:
"Have you had stalkers?"
"Not as such, no. I've had-- I don't really want to go into it, I've had some kind of scary fan mails come through, some obsessive people, but nothing I'd consider a stalker."

He DOES read my letters! :inlove: :P
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

It was good that the comment about Al's parents didn't bring down the rest of the interview. It sounded like Al was about to correct them, but they moved on really quickly and he just let it slide.

It was a really fun interview. I was bummed that I didn't know about it before hand, because I was in the area when Al was in the studio.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Leigh
Occasional

Post by Leigh »

KnottyEmily @ Mar 8 2007, 04:16 AM wrote: It was good that the comment about Al's parents didn't bring down the rest of the interview. It sounded like Al was about to correct them, but they moved on really quickly and he just let it slide.

Yeah i noticed that bit too Emily. I held my breath for a bit. I thought Al was gonna say something. It could have been an awkward moment for the DJ's. Its just another case of radio DJ's not doing research.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Leigh @ Mar 8 2007, 03:19 PM wrote: Yeah i noticed that bit too Emily. I held my breath for a bit. I thought Al was gonna say something. It could have been an awkward moment for the DJ's. Its just another case of radio DJ's not doing research.
Well, they did their research, by the sounds...on Wikipedia. Dunno how they glossed over that part, though.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I thought that the way they mentioned Al's parents was actually OK. Talking about how they died, or trying to score points off Al or milk it for a laugh... no! No! Boil the idiots in oil! OTOH, talking about how supportive of Al they were, and how they enjoyed his success, and generally what great parents they were... I think that THOSE are okay topics, after three years. But of course it's Al's opinion that counts.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I agree, they were very tasteful in their comments, but it might have had something to do with the fact that they weren't aware that Al's parents passed away. Although I'm certain that they wouldn't have tried to score points like Rover did. It was just a little bit of a shame that that final comment slipped in there, but Al seemed to brush it off, probably because they were so genuine in their comments about his parents, so I guess it's all good.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath