Al On Russian Mtv!

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

That's right, two days ago, MTV Russia showed Al's brilliant "White&Nerdy"! :lol:
I was really freaked out. I remember I was lying in the bathroom (sorry for details!) and heard the beginning of the song on TV in the kitchen. I thought it was Cham's "Ridin'" playing, but I turned out the jack and guess what, I heard "White&Nerdy" lyrics, never more, nor less! I screamed and jumped out of the bathroom, running to the kitchen. Now imagine me absolutely naked, dancin' all over the place, singing along with Weird Al! (sorry for details again). :D Lucky for me nobody was home at that time.
Can you folks just imagine my joy and cheer? Al on our TV, that is way cool, insn't it? Now again, I noticed how great Al does look like nowadays and how he brilliantly captures original artists' musical row and lyrics. But then, one thing also popped in my mind...
Of course, I'm very glad that Al achieved such international popularity and respect. After all these years he's been cheering us so much and making us laugh, he just deserves all of it, and probably more. But all those international releases of SOL, especially in non-English speaking countries, are, not speaking about money refunds, almost meaningless. And, ironically, it's all about Al's humor - it's extremely American. Look for example at the same "White&Nerdy". Such American-only references as Renaissance Faire, D&D, Segway, Stephen Hawkings - are, umm, hardly understandable outside the US. Not to mention that the artist Al's parodying is mostly known "in the hood". For me, it's not the problem. I learned much about America due to Weird Al, and then again, I'm a philologist, so for me learning something about other country's language and culture is not a big deal. But what is others' reaction on Al? Hard to say.
I think that through all those years, Al's songs&videos&humor achieved a tendency to be more and more American. Early stuff, like Fat or Smells Like Nirvana, are OK - and they made Al famous also because of their relative easiness (Though "Hoe!" and "bargle nawdle zouss" still creep me out). But already "Amish Paradise" made me a little bit confused - like, "Who the hell Amish are?!"
So then again, as for me, I'm glad that Al, with the help of his songs and other stuff, is somehow protecting Amercian culture. But what is international fans' reaction to this? Did they get ALL references that Al mentions or not? Mewrio? WHiZZi? RWDW? Swiss&UK fans? Let's discuss!

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Railok
Occasional

Post by Railok »

You know, that's a good question. I still need to tell people about all the references.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Seva @ Dec 29 2006, 06:02 PM wrote:
Can you folks just imagine my joy and cheer? Al on our TV, that is way cool, insn't it?
That is indeed WAY cool. :)

I think a lot of Al's references are pretty widely understood throughout the Anglosphere (the English-speaking cultures). I've seen a pic of the current Dr. Who riding a Segway, and that's pretty British. :lol:

Stephen Hawking IS British, of course, and MC Escher was Dutch (hi WHiZZi).

Commercially-operated Renaissance Faires may be mostly a US phenomenon, but medieval and Renaissance recreation is a hobby all over Europe as well as in the US. I've read about events in Britain, Germany and Finland, and I'm on a mailing list for a medieval reenactment group in Spain.

I guess what I'm tryin' to say is, Al's not as culturally inbred as it might seem at first. The gangsta culture he parodies in W & N is a US thing, unfortunately, but I think it's spreading, even more unfortunately.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

:lol: That's a pretty funny story, Seva. I think OE pretty much summed things up in her post, so I won't elaborate. I'm happy for you, and glad that Al was on Russian MTV! I think Al is understood by folks overseas more than you think, though.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
ducttapeearth
Obsessed

Post by ducttapeearth »

The gangsta culture he parodies in W & N is a US thing, unfortunately, but I think it's spreading, even more unfortunately.
:lol:

That is a nice story! I can only imagine the intense Yankovic-euphoria that rang through your bones! And I am glad the single is getting some foreign recognition. Like... the Beatles!
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Come on, who doesn't lay on their bathroom floor every night?
taste is only something if it is yours.
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

Seva , I hope the curtains were closed while you were dancing naked. We don't want to see the video of it pop up on YouTube. :P

Dutch could have been the language in the US , if my "anchestors" hadn't soldl New York for Suriname and an Apple in the 17th century ( ?? ). :oo :P
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

All good points, OE!

BUT! "Spending every weekend at the Renaissance Faire, got my name on my underwear." Through all song, Al mentions things that usually happens to a person who is, well, mostly white and pretty nerdy. And the opposites between white and black persons is an US thing, huh?
So I still think that Al is VERY culturally inbred (thanks for the word OE!), and c'mon, he's wearing a Hawaiian shirt - and that is somehow a national costume! :D

Hi Patti! It's been a long time since we chatted together, right, folks?
To your post: Try to show some recent Al stuff to some foreigner, non-English speaking, for example "Pentiums". I seriously doubt that he will get ALL wordy jokes in the song, and the words are the key to the whole thing, since the video lacks the visual gags comparing to Al's early stuff. Scandinavian people may be very proud of their ability to speak English - and they're doing it pretty well! - but the only person who won't go to lyric website or dictionary while listening would be the one from the Anglosphere (thanks for the word again OE!), and that's even not for sure!

Very funny RWDW! Though, in fact, you CAN see me on youtube. Me and my comedy band performing Finnish polka on TV. I'll post the link later.
There! Whew!
And where are YOU from, Railok?

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Wow. Well, gee, all I said that Al was more understood than you might think, not totally understood.

Nice to hear from you, Seva.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

running with Dutch windmills @ Dec 30 2006, 07:22 AM wrote: Dutch could have been the language in the US , if my "anchestors" hadn't soldl New York for Suriname and an Apple in the 17th century ( ?? ). :oo :P
I thought the Apple wasn't even invented until the 20th century. :huh:
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.