Sol International Release

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

Not sure if this merits it's own topic. Feel free to lock.

I just thought I'd make a topic concerning SOL, and how It will be :censored: quality outside The US.
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

Most likely to celebrate Weasel Stomping Day
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I don't know that it will be :censored: quality, but it won't be the full release. And I don't think that's fair at all. I'm not sure what silly record label politics cause this happen so often, but it seems like it happens to international fans quite a bit. (OTDE didn't contain "Bite Me", The Ultimate Video Collection didn't contain bonus material, etc.)

However, the Japanese versions of albums/singles have been known to have different cover art, and the Japanese "Alapalooza" even has a bonus track that that rest of the world didn't get, so I guess it could work both ways.

My suggestion is to order it online from a U.S. retailer. This way you'll get the album earlier, and get all the bonus material. Then write to the record label (It's Attic Records for Canada, and I think it's Jive in Australia) and let them know that you ordered it from the U.S. distributor and why. If enough people do this, hopefully they'll get the message.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

Luckily I'm having it Imported from The U.S.

Sorry. By *censored* quality I meant all the stuff we miss out on, and thank you very much. I think I will write Attic.
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Elvis @ Sep 9 2006, 11:38 AM wrote: Then write to the record label (It's Attic Records  for Canada, and I think it's Jive in Australia) and let them know that you ordered it from the U.S. distributor and why.
Hope you're sitting down, because Attic Records is no more. They were acquired in 2000 by entrepreneur and political pundit Allan Gregg, who was trying to pool different music companies together in the hope of forming a Canada-based music conglomerate (I guess like Zomba). His company was called The Song Corporation, with Attic being renamed Song Recordings Inc. The company would go bankrupt just a year later.

I believe Al is currently handled by Zomba's Canadian division, which I guess would now be Sony BMG's Canadian division.

Their mailing address is:

Sony BMG Music (Canada) Inc.
190 Liberty Street, Suite 100
Toronto, ON
M6K 3L5

As for the Australian division, here is the address to their head office:

Sony BMG Music Entertainment (Australia) Pty Limited
11-19 Hargrave Street
East Sydney, NSW 2010
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

Thanks! :)
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

Carol
Obsessed

Post by Carol »

<_< There aren't any emoticons that are pissed off enough for this. First, the TWAS DVD isn't released for a month and a half after the states, and now this.

*puts on her angry ranting pants and gets to work on some letters*

*checks out plane ticket pricing for California*
Carpe Musica

I'm not being condescending, I'm too busy thinking about far more important things you wouldn't understand.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Elvis @ Sep 10 2006, 01:38 AM wrote: OTDE didn't contain "Bite Me"
Australia's did...

Anyway, I like the idea of 2 discs, like my Songs for Silverman, but not the lack of 5.1 or instrumentals (even though I'm not overly fussed on them myself). Ah well, we shall live!

Plus, 4 measly days isn't much to me. It's much faster than ordering from America for us Aussies.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Pookster
Occasional

Post by Pookster »

I'm just thinking...

Since the US release is going to be a dualdisc, there won't be any picture on the face of the disc, whereas with the international release, there's two disc faces to cover. I know it's a longshot, and not really that big a thing, but there is a possibility that we might get some of Al's trademark novelty pictures on the disc faces.

Maybe?? :(
Tronno
Occasional

Post by Tronno »

I was thinking about that.. I can only really see it being the album cover again.
Pookster
Occasional

Post by Pookster »

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the pessimistic side of things too. My guess is it'll probably be either a close-up portion of the front cover, or just text a la Greatest Hits vol 1 & 2.