Teach Yourself English

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

That should be "...get upset at thee." I grew up reading the King James translation of the Bible, so I'm really good at my thees and thous. :P

In my opinion, "Can I invade your personal space" is just informal language, not wrong when it's spoken. The "can/may" distinction is more important in formal speech or written English.

And you can too still use the old-fashioned word for a female canine without offense... but you'd better be at a kennel or a dog show or a vet's office at the time. :blink:
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Jun 17 2004, 01:44 AM wrote: That should be "...get upset at thee." I grew up reading the King James translation of the Bible, so I'm really good at my thees and thous. :P

In my opinion, "Can I invade your personal space" is just informal language, not wrong when it's spoken. The "can/may" distinction is more important in formal speech or written English.

And you can too still use the old-fashioned word for a female canine without offense... but you'd better be at a kennel or a dog show or a vet's office at the time. :blink:
Thou art correct—thou knowest well thine English. :)

Tis hard to keep straight such olden forms. Methinks verbs are even harder: -(e)st, -(e)th, etc.

A topic befitting Al is this one, for how many singers canst thou name who use "thine" in our times?

if I finish all of my chores, and you finish thine

I bid good night to ye all—this manner of speech doth give me an headache! :)
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Yeah, I can't really think of any modern-day songs that use the word "thine", either. Gotta love that about Al!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
modular
Obsessed

Post by modular »

Also, it should be "I bet there are a hundred house codes that I'm violating"
I am gone until June, as a result of the Junior Cert, a very large exam.
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

modular @ Jun 29 2004, 01:45 PM wrote: Also, it should be "I bet there are a hundred house codes that I'm violating"
[quote=""Trash Day""]
Bet there's a hundred health codes that I'm violatin'
[/quote]

:P

And yes, it should be an "are," not an "is" (even if it's contracted).
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
modular
Obsessed

Post by modular »

Off to the misheard lyrics thread...
I am gone until June, as a result of the Junior Cert, a very large exam.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

While still in Bulgaria, saw yesterday: "Welcome to Bulgarian restaurant - THE TRUE BULGARIAN KITCHEN". :huh: Boy, it's better to them to become Al fans...

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".