Teach Yourself English

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

This negative connotation attached to every single English word is so annoying: I can't use the traditional words for "donkey" or "female dog;" I can't say "rooting" to anyone who speaks Australian English... (sigh)
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

Seva @ May 30 2004, 06:17 PM wrote: And what version do you prefer, RWDW?

SEVA , I don't get to deep into that question on whether A. or E. , I just use the words that come up to me ( not thinking if it's A or E , due to A. and E. TV on Dutch TV , I kind of don't mind if it's A. or E.)

As on words mentioned above this reply , yeah some words create situations that can go wrong just by the different meanings in different countries.
You ment something funny and , in your eyes harmless , they almost kill because they took it up insulting.
Handsigns have different meanings all over the world , so you better watch out if your using them.You think it's just a harmless one that you're using but I could cost your life in a other country because it has a very very different meaning somewhere else.

;( So don't kill me when I'm using a word that I think is funny but turned out insulting. ;(
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Okay RWDW! We shall not get upset at thou. :P
In hiding since 2010
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Indeed we shall not. Why even spakest thou of the prospect of upsettence? Let us forgetteth upset and be forever merry.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Blessed be thy words, Sporkman. :D

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
madhouse

Post by madhouse »

For me ( I am french) listening to Al's song helps me a lot . There are always words I need to look at in the dictionary, and I must admit that learning new words its fun when ou do it listening to Al. :whoot:
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

Yeah. If there was a topic "Items you buy at store" at my state exam, quoting "Hardware Store" would be a sure guarantee to get A+. :lol:

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

I am impressed with the non-native speakers on this forum, you speak really well! :)

I think English is particularly hard, for reasons OE and others have already discussed. The three things that really helped me with French a lot (besides actually speaking and hearing it, of course!) are:

1) learning the words to French songs
2) watching TV
3) reading (online sites, newspapers, books, etc.)

If you only read books, you don't find out how people really speak in a given language. Songs, TV, and the Internet help you learn a lot of useful words, I think. Then again, with Weird Al you have to be careful: it's probably hard to tell what's a common expression and what's just Al being ...well, weird! :D

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but do we know if Al ever learned any foreign languages? I don't think I've read that he speaks any fluently now, but in high school I assume he took something (in terms of language, that is :) ).
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

He took high school Spanish, and even got to use what he learned in Taco Grande.
This means something. This is important.
autrefois
Die-hard Fan

Post by autrefois »

weird_el @ Jun 17 2004, 12:03 AM wrote: He took high school Spanish, and even got to use what he learned in Taco Grande.
Thanks for the info! :)

or should I say:

¡Gracias por esta información! :zorro: