Danish Fans

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Karmus

Post by Karmus »

I'm trying to share the "Weird Al" thought to all my friends in Denmark. I already made a few people become "fans", less and more, but noone will beat me! :D
Unfortunately the phenomenon "Weird Al" is quite unknown in Denmark, and the only album I've seen in a record shop in my hometown Silkeborg is "Running With Scissors", but someone bought it ½ year ago. :(
I was in Santa Cruz in California on vacation fall 2003, and I found a second hand music shop at the downtown streets. They had 5 WAY albums for sale: "Greatest Hits 2", "Running With Scissors", "Poodle Hat", "Bad Hair Day" and I can't remember the last one. There's definitely a difference!

If you know other DK people let me know. Feel also free to add me to your IM lists. Check my profile for emails/ID's.
"Play fair, no scare!" - Karmus
"Life is strange. People come, people go. And all you got left are memories..." - Dualtrax
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

God dag, Karmus! It's great to see more European fans on the forum! As for me, I'm the Russian one. Lucky you, you had RWS in your record store, I had to burn one 'til my dad went to America and bought me some. Welcome!

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Karmus

Post by Karmus »

Thank you very much! ;)
(It was a danish sentence.)
"Life is strange. People come, people go. And all you got left are memories..." - Dualtrax
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Welcome Karmus to WOWAY. I'm also glad to see more European memebers too. I'd like to here what you think of the songs on Poodle Hat if you have that yet.
In hiding since 2010
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Welcome Karmus, how did you learn about Al?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Welcome to WOWAY, Karmus! :biggrin:

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Karmus

Post by Karmus »

Thanks again! :)
I've known him for a long time without knowing it. I admit. Sorry, please forgive me. I know it's illegal, but WAY is hard to hear about here. It's a long story, so here it goes. The first occasion was when I saw Spy Hard in 4th grade (8th now) and I thought: "What a funny man blowing his head up in the intro."
Second time was in the movie Pokémon 2000 were he sang "Polkamon". My friend Jakob and me loved that song, so we listened to the mp3 over and over.
Third time my dad borrowed a mix cd from one of his students at school and burned a copy of it. There was some Weird Al tracks on it. The first one I was very fascinated of: "The Alternative Polka". I couldn't get it out of my head. Other tracks on the CD was "Everything You Know Is Wrong", "Livin' In The Fridge", "Yoda" and "You Don't Love Me Anymore". I borrowed my dad's copy, but I was unsure of "Yoda" and "You Don't Love Me Anymore". I didn't know if it was the same guy who sang for example "The Alternative Polka". But soon I forgot about it.
About a year after (Nov. 2002) I got it in mind again and searched for some lyrics, and I found out the track was named "The Alternative Polka" and the artist was "'Weird Al' Yankovic". (Later on I got the other names too. And I misspelled "weird" as "wierd" until some months ago where I found out.) I immediately started KaZaA and clicked on every of the hundreds of songs there were listed. I went to his official site and saw that there were many fakes out on the Internet. I stopped my queue list and deleted everything and started over. I only picked what I saw in Catalogue. Soon I had most of the tracks after some days of downloading in my Easter vacation 2003. Some friends online helped me, both with ripping and searching and so I got the last ones I missed. (I have 167 MP3's today and I also got a lot of unreleased and concert songs and all his music videos except "Christmas At Ground Zero", which also is out in an unofficial anime version. My collection hasn't ended yet. :)) A half year later I glitch checked every single track with headphones on; even a single bump was enough! It took a week and I downloaded new versions of the corrupted songs or I edited them in an audio program. Some of them were hard to find again.
I would definitely buy all WA albums if they existed in my country, honestly. I like Poodle Hat very much. Since it is a new album I recognize most of the parodies from the original songs. "Weird Al" Yankovic's first compact disc came out long before I was born.
squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

Post by squishsquashgirl »

Interesting story! I too experienced Al for my first time in Spy Hard, but I was 5 years old and scared to death of the 'creepy exploding head guy' 7 years later, I saw the video again, this time as a die hard Al fan, and loved it to pieces!!!
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Great story. Oh on a side note Karmus, I would be careful what you say around scottidog. She is very nit-picky about downloading. She doesn't care if you have to pay $200 to buy a CD she doesn't accept downloading. :P She (aka Mama Bear) can give that picture that says "don't make me call Mama Bear". Just a word of advice. Again I'm glad that you were able to find his songs.
In hiding since 2010
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Maybe one of the few upsides of downloading is that people in other countries can discover Al. Of course, if you can buy, you should buy, but if it weren't for WHiZZi's initial downloading, this forum would probably not exist.
This means something. This is important.