Aussie tour differences

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Miss Janine
Obsessed

Post by Miss Janine »

Stare at it lovingly as a cherished momento. And hope to get it autographed sometime...
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Oh, and maybe I should mention the fact that during Smells Like Nirvana, he threw not one but TWO cups into the audience. And I am on a terrible high after having caught the first one, the gargle one! Er....I've got it sitting up in my room.....so.....what am I supposed to do with it now?

Put it under a glass case and praise it like it should be praised.

-CindyBob
Caroleg
Die-hard Fan

Post by Caroleg »

He also put "Aussie Aussie Aussie, OY OY OY" in the Yoda chant, or at least at Brisbane last night

Yes, that was in at least the last 2 shows I saw, maybe the others,I don't remember. I was going to mention it. I also wanted to asked somebody down here about Couch Potato. I know they get a lot of US TV shows, but I got the feeling that people weren't understanding the lyrics to that song. Otherwise, they seemed to enjoy everything and laugh at all the right places.
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Re: Aussie tour differences

Post by mewrio »

QUOTE I'm suspecting the biggest blank stares might come during the video clips.  Australians obviously find Al's music funny otherwise he wouldn't be selling gold albums there, but do they get American tv shows?

These actually got the biggest laughs of the whole concert in my case. Needless to say, we probably enjoyed the music more.

Mewrio,

-trying hard not to insult The Great Weird One
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

QUOTE QUOTE I'm suspecting the biggest blank stares might come during the video clips.  Australians obviously find Al's music funny otherwise he wouldn't be selling gold albums there, but do they get American tv shows?

These actually got the biggest laughs of the whole concert in my case. Needless to say, we probably enjoyed the music more.

Same with me. The King of the Hill one got a pretty good response, considering it isn't regarded as a good show from my experience. The Conan one also got a loud "CONAN!!!" (sure, it was my brother...but still..) and a laugh.

Those are the two I can remember that were more of the American-themed clips.
Riverstar33
Occasional

Post by Riverstar33 »

I can't remember hearing him say Aussie Aussie Aussie? (I was at the Melbourne Show) I was deaf however by that stage of the show! It was so great! I loved the thing he changed in The Complicated song by swapping Alabama to Tasmania! I think that got the biggest laugh!
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

The Conan one also got a loud "CONAN!!!" (sure, it was my brother...but still..) and a laugh.
This is Conan the Librarian, right? We didn't see him at Brisbane. :(

But there was The Firehose. :)
Pookster
Occasional

Post by Pookster »

Well I dare say that the concert I went to on the 15th was very much the same as most of the other concerts, so I've decided not to post a recount of the whole thing, and I thought instead, I'd just point out a couple of noteable little nuances and differences here.

Firstly, I don't know how many people have listened to the ABC Radio interviews with Al (in the media section), but in the third interview (I think), Al stated that it took the Australian audience a few seconds to get into it, because we didn't know what to expect. That was evident at the concert that I went to. After the first song, the polka, the audience cheered hysterically, and then he launched into the second song. After it had finished, the audience cheered for a moment, and Al wandered to the back of the stage and took a sip of water. While he was back there, the cheering eventually died down and the whole place went dead quiet in anticipation of what Al would do next. In the silence, Al turned to face the audience once again, now with a nervous, petrified look on his face as if to say "Where am I and what the hell is going on?!?". He stepped slowly toward the microphone, arms out slightly as if he was blind and feeling his way toward the mike, eyes extremely wide, and he put his finger to his mouth and went "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

After that though, everyone began to get the hang of the Weird Al Experience, and the night went wonderfully.

Another difference caused by the audience was during the intro to "A Complicated song", in which Al's cell phone is ringing. As he began to remove it from his pocket, someone in the audience yelled out "It's your mum!" and there was a small amount of laughter. Al looked at the front of the phone, then put his hand to his forehead, and then said "....It is my mom." He answered the phone and said "Hello?" and the music started. "Hi mom. Uhuh, extra cheese...." and so on. I just thought it was very humorous that the pizza party was at his mum's house.

I've actually got a cruddy quality postage-stamp sized avi clip of that bit from my friends digital camera, so I can relive that moment.

Oh, and for those who didn't hear the first time I mentioned it, I CAUGHT THE SMELLS LIKE NIRVANA GARGLE CUP!!!!

I'm never a good catch. Never. But this has got to be, and I'm not exaggerating here, one of the best catches at a Weird Al concert ever. I was in the third row, and I told my friends either side of me to try and catch the cup that he throws during this song. The gargle part came, and he threw the cup. It was heading straight for me, but it wasn't quite going to make it. In the heat of the moment, I leapt out of my seat, lunged forward, over the guy in front of me and with outstretched arms, caught the cup perfectly, upright, in both hands.

I actually got a cheer from some of the audience! :biggrin:

I'm having a delirious blank from the whole experience right now, so at the moment, I can't think of anything else that would be different. I just hope he returns to Australia real soon. :bigups:
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

QUOTE QUOTE The Conan one also got a loud \"CONAN!!!\" (sure, it was my brother...but still..) and a laugh.

This is Conan the Librarian, right? We didn't see him at Brisbane. :(

But there was The Firehose. :)

You didn't miss anything- I believe the reference was to Conan O'Brien.

~Allison
mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

Is there some kind of hack-saw in OMM? Or anything?