Al in the news

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Is this perhaps the first time a celebrity's photo has been used on someone else's wanted poster?

I'm not so much offended for Al's sake, but rather because it just seems so lazy. "Well, the picture we have from the bank isn't that great...but here's a really good picture of Weird Al!" Is Chief Wiggum heading up this investigation?
watt

Post by watt »

Wonder what Al's legal team has to say about misuse of image?

watt
Cartunedude
Occasional

Post by Cartunedude »

On 2001-12-07 04:28, Shelley wrote:
Heey.. maybe it's the guy that played the fake Al in The Compleat Al ?! :wink:
-Shelley

Or maybe... his evil twin, the infamous "Wierd All" Yankovich! :eek: :lol:

C-type
whatmepolka
Occasional

Post by whatmepolka »

Yes.....it's all coming together now.

Besides, if it WERE Al, why would he have used a bicycle for his getaway? Dude's sportin' a Z-3! I mean, come on!! LOL

OK.......The story has me a little torn. it is, of itself, funny. I just don't like the Al connection.

Well, at least my e-mail to the news channel resulted in a spelling correction.

Oh, and I don't live in Detroit. I'm in (sunny?) California. Patti first told me about the story then I looked it up. I have plenty of sources. I report the news for a living! LOL
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Is Chief Wiggum heading up this investigation?

I don't think Chief Wiggum is that smart. Whoever's idea it was, I think it's brilliant. I don't know about Detroit, but I do know that in the New York area, bank robberies hardly make the news anymore, let alone get the coverage this one seems to be getting.

By attaching Al's image and name to the wanted poster description, the police did something that the local press will jump all over and the public will remember. And if you want the public to help you solve the crime, you need the press's attention.

"Guy with curly hair and glasses robs bank" might get a mention on the nightly news, "Weird Al look-a-like robs bank" will get a full story.

I bet they catch this guy quickly.

David
mrchips127

Post by mrchips127 »

I finally got the video to work... What I'm wondering is why they used the pic of Al jumping from RWS and then wrote "In 3d" on it... hmmm

As for the whole thing I find it hysterical. Bad publicity aside, of course. Also, it's my speculation that they used the old promo photo perhaps because the robber looked like the old Al. I wonder if the Al look is his normal attire or if it was a stunt.
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

Hey, they made a spoof of the story on saturday night live, it was pretty funny! They showed a "police sketch" of his old look.
whatmepolka
Occasional

Post by whatmepolka »

No way!

If you hear about it being replayed, could you try to give us a heads up?

Thanks!

Merry Christmas!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Nelson: Hah-hah!