Album release dates

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

belitcje

Post by belitcje »

Bermuda

I have another question involving one of the songs on the self-titled album that came out in the 80's called "I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead." Somewhere in the middle of that song, Al sings a line that says "I don't want no part of that vegetariacy." Before you once again wonder why people don't research their questions, I'd like to make it known that I went to the FAQ section of weirdal.com and read the answer to the question concerning when and why Al became a vegatarian. My question is this: it seemed like the message that was given in that song was that he would always be as active as he could be for the rest of his live so why would he make it known in a song that he never wants to become a vegatarian when he did end up becoming one? Also, how often do you update the official website?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The line is "vegetarian scene..." and Al says a LOT of things in his lyrics that generally have nothing to do with his life. They're just words, placed because they are absurd or funny, or because they rhyme. Fans could pick apart all of Al's songs, looking for some meaning, and the fact is, they're just intended to be humorous. I can't think of any of the songs that could be construed to be making some sort of statement or have any meaning beyond being funny. Someone suggested that Trigger Happy was some sort of social commentary, and I don't see how they arrived at that!

I update the site a) whenever there's news, or B) whenever there's an addition to specific pages (such as Links, Players, etc.) or c) when I update the Photo Gallery, usually once a month.

Bermuda
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

[quote="bermuda"]Someone suggested that Trigger Happy was some sort of social commentary, and I don't see how they arrived at that!

I wasn't the someone that suggested it, but I think Trigger Happy has some sort of social commentary. It's about an "irresponsible" gun nut (accidently shoots the cat and his father), and therein lies the key. Al said in the liner notes for Permanent Record that he thought the pro-gun control message was fairly obvious.

But, because it's sung in the first person and it has such a happy sound, it must confuse people. Out of all of Al's songs, I think this one is the most political.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Hmm, I didn't get that at all from the song. But I take everything at face value... I don't 'read' anything into lyrics that aren't otherwise obvious. I thought it was just a funny song. I suppose things can be read into any of Al's songs though.
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

This is the text from the Permanant Record booklet quoting Al:

"Trigger Happy." "I just thought it would be fun to juxtapose

a Beach Boys/Jan & Dean type surf riff with a song about a gun nut.

I think the song's pro-gun control sentiment is fairly obvious, but

one day I was doing an interview in Canada on a call-in talk show,

and somebody called in and said 'Oh, I think it's great that

you wrote this song, because I love guns, I got a lot of guns

and I think it's great that you'd write a song like that.' Not

wanting to explain the irony to someone who's heavily armed

I simply said 'Thank you very much!'"

Time for politics...

Taking the side of Bermuda here, I don't think Al would make any political statements through his songs. That's for press conferences and talk shows. And I would think that Al would like to keep his political life behind closed doors. It would stir up too much controversy.

This excerpt form the Permanant Record booklet may say a little about Al's political views but, like our friend Bermuda said, doesn't have much meaning.

I think, this is only my opinion, a song about a gun nut shooting everything is an extreme case and most people that own guns are not crazy like the song portrays. Sure, there are those who are a little whacked, but let's get real. So I don't think it would be a valid political statement to say that this song is pro-gun control since it does not illustrate real life.
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The fact that Al pointed out the sentiment doesn't mean he feels one way or the other, or that a message was intended.

The song Fat has nothing to do with Al's personal life - having never been heavy and not having a propensity for it, he has no worries anyway - and he's neither suggesting that people should or shouldn't be fat. It's just a song, but some people will find meaning in it, and all Al can do is agree that if it means something for someone, fine. If he was to argue about what his songs mean, I imagine he would say they have no meanings at all.

And I still don't see how Trigger Happy can be interpreted in any way except a whimsical look at a gun owner. I've kept guns for about 25 years, and the song doesn't strike a chord with me either way.
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

Agreed.
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

While we're on the subject, I defy any of you to find some commentary or agenda in any of the new originals - the lyrics are as benign as they are humorous!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

We'll see. But, as far as old songs go I must comment on Another One Rides The Bus. I know when Al wrote it, he meant for it to be hyperbole, an extreme exxagaration, but I've lived through commutes like this and it ain't pretty. Overcrowded with disgusting people ACK! The experience (aside from giving me the shakes for a few days) gave me the opportunity to appreciate the song on a whole new level.

El
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

A lot of things can be read from Al's music, but first and foremost the songs are funny as Hell...

In response to an earlier post you made in this topic (regarding Al's marriage), do you think that Al has found, as Emo so aptly put it on VHI, the "woman that will kill him slower than anything else"??? :D