Celebrity Deathmatch

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Cat_Barf
Occasional

Celebrity Deathmatch

Post by Cat_Barf »

What did you think of that Deathmatch thing that MTV did about a year ago? And if you know, what did Al think? Did you guys get a little chuckle out of it or was it insulting? :dontgetit:
Signed,

Cat Barf
Moneybags
Regular

Oopsy Daisy

Post by Moneybags »

I'm also curious about how Al received the Celebrity Deathmatch episode, because if he didn't like it, then I think I might owe him a bit of a apology. I've been a fan of Celebrity Deathmatch since it first began. At one point the CD website had a link titled "Fight Suggeston Box", where veiwers could enter their ideas and suggestions for future fights on the show. At any rate, one fine day in January, 2000, I went to the aforementioned site, and proceeded to suggest that CD construct a fight between "Weird Al" Yankovic and Al Gore. Now, I obviously can't say that it was my suggestion that influenced the folks at CD to carry this out, and I certainly didn't suggest that the ex-VP win said fight, but I still feel partially responsible. So, if Al was at all upset by this, I apologize whole-heartedly. (Of course, I'm sure he's got a sense of humor about this type of thing. After all, he's had to deal with a guy like Coolio!)
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I don't think Al minded it, because he used the video clip of the match (edited version) at some of his RWS concerts during the fall of 2000.

El
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Correct.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I found an interview online where Al actually had something to say about Celebrity Deathmatch

From Chris Mitchell, Herald Dispatch, Huntington, WV Aug 2000

CM: That might have done it. (laughs) Did you see yourself on MTV’s Celebrity Death Match?

AL: Yes, actually, we use a little clip of that in the live show now. It was fun. I wish I would have won. (laughs) Other than

that, they used my old look with the glasses and the moustache and whoever did my voice impersonated me pretty well.

And the writing was pretty cute. It’s just odd to see somebody come up with an idea like that, and put so much work into

it -- especially when you have nothing to do with it and have no say in it. I could only sit back and enjoy it.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks, for sharing that, El! I had never seen that interview before. I'm glad Al liked it! And of course he said he wished he'd won! hehe! *So did all his fans, I'm sure!* It was pretty well done, although I was disappointed that they used his old look. Ah, well.

Patti
watt

Post by watt »

I think that the reason that the old image was used is that it is more recognizable. Al has had his current look for a while, but the public still sees the old look as a signature.

:sigh:

watt
SqUiRtY
Occasional

Post by SqUiRtY »

Ohhlll, i wish i could have seen that match, i sounds really good, although Al loses! :( :mad: :yell: To be honest i have never seen the show on t.v cause i dont have the comedy channel (or whatever its on) but i also wanted to see all the Marilyn Manson ones too!
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Ohhlll, i wish i could have seen that match, i sounds really good, although Al loses! To be honest i have never seen the show on t.v cause i dont have the comedy channel (or whatever its on) but i also wanted to see all the Marilyn Manson ones too!

Actually, it was on MTV. Though, now I learned TNN is playing the older episodes now.

Or is UPN playing the new episodes?

Oh, I can't remember. I now only watch it when I catch it on. I'm so confused.

I have the episode recorded, well, all the Al moments. I will play everything except for um...that dreaded, bad part.

-CindyBob

:stupid:
"Lethal Luke" Bannon
Occasional

Post by "Lethal Luke" Bannon »

AL LOST? WAH!!!!!!
I like Weird Al- he's more intelligent then me

Soap's more intelligent then you!