Ever Done A Drum Solo?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

drummer29

Ever Done A Drum Solo?

Post by drummer29 »

Ever Done A Drum Solo?

I'm sure the crowd would go nuts if you did. Maybe next you could do a drum solo for one of the times when Al is changing costumes. That's assuming that you aren't changing costumes also.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

have you ever been to a show or seen the video? bermuda does a drum solo about 2 songs into the show. and what a fine demonstration of his skills it is.

mike
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

I think what the first poster meant was if Bermuda ever considered a longer few minute thing.
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

First, I don't do solos, second, we don't have time for a long solo from any of us, and third, we all learned many years ago that any kind of real solo isn't funny and doesn't fit the theme of the show.
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

First, I don't do solos, second, we don't have time for a long solo from any of us, and third, we all learned many years ago that any kind of real solo isn't funny and doesn't fit the theme of the show.
Yeah, that's the one problem w/ comedy music.
I slice lemons at weirdnesscentral.net
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The MUSIC isn't comedy, but the theme of the show is. Big difference.
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

The MUSIC isn't comedy, but the theme of the show is. Big difference.

But isn't the music lyrics comedy? So that would make the music sort of half-comedy?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Nope, the music is straight rock & pop & country & whatever. Except for the occasional sound effect, the original songs' lyrics would fit perfectly with the parodies we're playing, and serious lyrics would fit with the music for Al's originals.

The critics (and fans) wised up a long time ago and stopped referring to us as a comedy or novelty band.
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

Nope, the music is straight rock & pop & country & whatever. Except for the occasional sound effect, the original songs' lyrics would fit perfectly with the parodies we're playing, and serious lyrics would fit with the music for Al's originals.

The critics (and fans) wised up a long time ago and stopped referring to us as a comedy or novelty band.

Okay. I guess I'll use the correct terminology from now on. So what kind of music do you play, if not comedy?
drummer29

Post by drummer29 »

I do have to give the band big credit for sounding very good, at the shows. It takes some very professional musicians to get the songs to sound so good. But it wouldn't hurt to have a jam session the middle : )

I do understand what you're saying about not fitting in the show. It'd be still be cool though.