bootlegs

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Yank27
Obsessed

bootlegs

Post by Yank27 »

i was what your feelings were about bootleging concerts, or tradeing people for bootlegs. do you think it's wrong? i remeber on ebay one time someone tried selling a 1985 bootleg and the auction got canceled. i just wanted to know.

(other users, post your opinions too)
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

although i will admit to having a medley downloaded onto my computer, i think it is wrong, i understand the wanting concert only songs, but that is the beauty of going to a concert, if you had the songs available all the time, you lose just a little of the surprise of hearing something new. plus it has to be gratifying for al to hear people laughing at something knew, he is a comedian after all.

mike

the one who apparently has too much to say about everything tonite, maybe i should look into politics, no wait, i still have a soul.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Ash
Occasional

Re: bootlegs

Post by Ash »

i was what your feelings were about bootleging concerts, or tradeing people for bootlegs. do you think it's wrong? i remeber on ebay one time someone tried selling a 1985 bootleg and the auction got canceled. i just wanted to know.

(other users, post your opinions too)

Hmm, if you buy bootlegs, Al/band get no royalties. It seems he wouldn't want people essentially "stealing" his stuff. You might want to see this web page; http://www.riaa.com/Protect-Campaign-1.cfm .
I slice lemons at weirdnesscentral.net
Alapeleke
Occasional

Post by Alapeleke »

mmh. well I hade napster for about 2 days

I only got it to get one song and deleted it after I did. The Yoday chant @.@ I HAD to learn it before my concert.. and I didn't have the WAY Live yet. I think I have since deleted it .

But I would think from a fans pov the songs that aren't released are fun to get. I would't know how much money you could lose from concert bootlegs if they weren't sold in the first place. But like songs that are on Albums it's stupid to d/l My sterio has better sound than my computer. And I'm not going to waste space on my computer.

so I've basically rambled and had no point.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The issue of bootlegging is unfortunately clouded by the few bands that have publicly encouraged the taping of their shows, such as Grateful Dead, Phish, and a handful of others. And the question of lost income is valid, to the extent that even 1,000 copies bypassing 'the system' causes lost revenue that would otherwise be accountable by the label and artist. The problem is certainly real, and even if the labels seem more concerned than the artists at times, the morality and legality is still in their favor.

But the other half of the story is that the quality and performances may be sub-par, and therefore bootleg buyer gets ripped off. Without the artist's control over quality (not to mention packaging,) the product isn't worth the cost, and it still amazes me that a commercial CD is $15-18, but an inferior bootleg is $25-30, and on home-made, 55¢ CDRs with bad artwork!!

In the case of an Al concert, and especially with the well-performed and well-produced "LIVE!" video available, I don't get why anyone would prefer a bootleg. Somebody wants to hear something that didn't make it to the video? Go to a concert! There are only a few cities we DIDN'T play on the last tour, so almost anyone who wanted to see a show, could have done so without much effort. I expect that future tours will cover North America just as thoroughly.

Oh yes, certain items on ebay items do get deleted... by me.

Bermuda
Ash
Occasional

Post by Ash »

Oh yes, certain items on ebay items do get deleted... by me.

Bermuda
How do you delete them?
I slice lemons at weirdnesscentral.net
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I'm an Ebay Verified Rights Owner for Al's product and use of his name or likeness, and items violating his rights can be deleted immediately with just an email from me.
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

I've seen some of those auctions on Ebay, and have tipped Jon off a time or two. It was realy hard not to bid, because at the time, I'd never BEEN to an Al concert and I'd heard that they were a lot of fun. (Fortunately, that changed when Al came to Ashland, KY last tour)

Napster sucks, and I'm glad it's dead. Artists spend a lot of time on their work, and they deserve proper compensation. Isn't it enough for us that Al and the whole gang do meet and greets as often as possible, sign autographs, put on a terrific show all over the country AND spend time on-line with us? Buy a ticket. trust me, it's worth it:)

harold
Alapeleke
Occasional

Post by Alapeleke »

But it sucks when the venues in your state aren't smart enough to book Al >.< twice in my state in the last tour. One was a hundred or more miles away. So I only go to one concert. I need a car. heh

There's the Al stuff trading pages out there but you have to have something they want before they'll trade. And I have something people want but I promised never to make copies. and I have been begged. (until he found someone that would give it to him no problem.)

Ah ebay, my friend :P I don't thing I've seen any bootlegs before(I'm usually looking for LPs anyway). I wouldn't trust that anyway.

this was another rambling
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

i do have to be honest, i do trade for bootlegs. but i wouldent buy them, because they arent worth it. but i do enjoy them alot! if i remember correctly, in an ask al, he sayed go ahead and bootleg them, just dont let me catch you!! but i could be wrong. i still do recomend going to a concert and/or getting the LIVE dvd over any bootleg!!!