Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Bermuda,

A few questions: 1) Has either Al or yourself seen the Coen Brothers' film "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" (starring George Clooney)? 2) Have either of you heard the soundtrack album? 3) Due to the current interest (thanks to the film/album) in bluegrass and old-timey music, does Al intend to do anything in the genre on his next album?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

On 2002-02-09 08:02, Johnnytimewarp wrote:
Bermuda,
A few questions: 1) Has either Al or yourself seen the Coen Brothers' film "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" (starring George Clooney)? 2) Have either of you heard the soundtrack album? 3) Due to the current interest (thanks to the film/album) in bluegrass and old-timey music, does Al intend to do anything in the genre on his next album?

I don't know about Al, but I haven't seen the movie or heard the soundtrack, and none of the new album's originals are in that style.

Bermuda
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Thanks for the reply Bermuda...You should rent "Oh Brother" on DVD. It's pretty damn funny and covers the roots of American music pretty well...
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Here are some more good reasons for Al to consider style parodies of bluegrass or american roots music.

O Brother just won the Grammy for album of the year

Jim West is a darn fine banjo player

Al's mom is from Kentucky. He's probably got that music in his own roots somehwere. He's certainly been successful when he draws on his Slavic side. I'm sure the other side would be great too.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

On 2002-02-28 05:05, weird_el wrote:
Here are some more good reasons for Al to consider style parodies of bluegrass or american roots music.

We already did a Cajun original on the last album, that's fairly North American.

O Brother just won the Grammy for album of the year

That's voted on by people in the industry, not Al's fans.

Jim West is a darn fine banjo player

You got that right! If there's another polka on the next album, you'll get to hear some more of his work.
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Well, at least check out the film and soundtrack for your own amusement...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

what do you mean IF theres another polka? there will be right? please say yes! ill be crushed if not
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I never automatically assume there'll be a polka - there've been 10 albums so far, with only 8 polkas.
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Al could do something like...

"I am a man of constant heartburn. I eat fast food every day. I ate fried chicken from Kentucky with the spicy BBQ glaze..."