Request regarding Poodle Hat

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Request regarding Poodle Hat

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I'm 73% sure that everyone here has legally purchased Poodle Hat on cd (I've bought 2 copies, one broke) and we all know accessing the multimedia features is nearly impossible at this point. We also know that the sound quality on the bonus versions of the songs isn't exactly decent. What I am asking is, is there any way we can get the same bonus tracks that were on the multimedia portion of Poodle Hat as high-quality mp3s? Technically, we already own them anyways. I just love having instrumental versions of songs so that I can sing along karaoke-style sometimes (I ripped the audio from the Straight Outta Lynwood DVD of all the instrumentals, for example). If you can find it in your heart to do something along these lines, it would mean a lot to us!
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: Request regarding Poodle Hat

Post by bermuda »

I don't understand why accessing that part of the CD would be difficult, just pop it in the drive of your computer and it should come up. As for the content, I don't recall what's in there, and I couldn't redistribute the material anyway.

If anyone wants to grab the audio from something playing on their computer, a free program called Audacity will record straight from the computer's soundcard. That is, any audio being played can be captured as an audio file. That audio can then be used on other devices where playing the CD isn't possible, such as a tablet or smartphone.

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

The player needed to access the bonus content has been updated so many times in the last 11 years that it doesnt play older files. You could try download.com to see if theres an older version, but no guarantee. The files have been ripped before and are available, but you would need to get that info off forum
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

minnick27 wrote:The player needed to access the bonus content has been updated so many times in the last 11 years that it doesnt play older files.
Interesting, I'll put my disc in and see what happens. It won't change what I can do about the content, but it will be good to know. But that does help answer why Windows8 won't recognize my 120 column IBM punchcards! Now I'll never by able to use my old Fortran programs!
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

I'm pretty sure that even if ripped using a program, the streaming audio quality from the file is low quality (I think). If anyone out here knows of a way to obtain the files in high-quality (or at least decent quality), that would be greatly appreciated!
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Well, as correctly pointed out, the file doesn't want to play! I copied the QT .mov file from the CD, but neither QuickTime or my other media programs would play it. iTunes comes closest, playing a portion of the file, but without the actual home movies, or any content following that.

So... it just goes to show ya, it pays to keep your old computer!

Bermuda
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Oh well! Just figured it couldn't hurt to ask! Thanks anyways!
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Here's the probable solution:

"QuickTime 7 appears to be only backwards-compatible with movies created under earlier versions of QuickTime if the Pro version is installed.... The new release of QuickTime 7 presents a problem for users of earlier versions; unless the user installs the Pro version, QuickTime 7 won't play movies created in earlier versions of QuickTime. The solution is to either purchase QuickTime Pro, which is useful if one does any video editing, or uninstall QuickTime 7 and reinstall QuickTime 6.5, which you can do with a download from Apple's QuickTime page"

Would anyone with an older version of QuickTime, or QuickTimePro care to verify this? :hamsters:
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

I tried installing the older version a few years ago and it worked out.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I checked my PC where I had installed the old version a few years ago to use the WBUL instrumental for the WOWAY Awards...and yep, it still works. If there's some way to distribute MP3s I'd be happy to do so but I'd need Bermuda's blessing first.