My Own Eyes

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

My Own Eyes

Post by TMBJon »

Hey Jon, just curious if you're able to share which Foo Fighters songs were used as reference for My Own Eyes. I was able to recognize this from the first few seconds as being a FF style parody, but I can't quite put my finger on any one song that it's particularly close to. I just hear a lot of the mid/late-era Foo Fighters albums. Some have said that the guitar riff toward the end sounds like Slither by Velvet Revolver. Was that a deliberate homage or a coincidence? (I think it also sounds a lot like Times Like These.)
Also - do you think there's a good chance this song might be played live on the next tour?

By the way, this song totally rocks. You guys really nailed their style!! :peace:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: My Own Eyes

Post by HappyGilmore »

I can kinda hear "The Pretender" in there.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I don't recall which songs in particular, and I'm not a big FF fan, so I can't assess it after the fact, sorry. As for the Slither sounding part, you'd have to ask Jim (he's the guitar player!) But it was fun to record. I did a fairly straight, rockin' pass, then for fun did a more raucous pass, which Al liked as well. Portions of each take were used in the final mix, and Dave Way the engineer made it sound seamless.

No idea whether we'll do it live.

Bermuda
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

On a couple of re-listens, I can hear these: All My Life, The Pretender, Breakout, Times Like These. Definitely The Pretender stands out.

Also, a slight usage of "Slither" by Velvet Revolver, but those four songs by the Foos stand out.