Yoda/Radio Radio

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

haroldwaide
Regular

Yoda/Radio Radio

Post by haroldwaide »

At one point (2012 to be more exact) there was a technical glitch during the Yoda chant and, as usual, Al stopped and introduced Radio Radio. After that, Yoda started back up again, picking up right after the chant would have ended and continuing through the end of the song. How did everyone know where to restart the song? I have a couple of theories (Al let everyone know, someone spoke into everyone's earpiece, etc...) but I'd love to hear the real answer. Thanks, Jon!

Harold
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Yoda/Radio Radio

Post by minnick27 »

Theres video of this out there. I told Al it was the best Yoda chant to date
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

I'e seen the video I didn't mention it because it was a bootleg and I didn't think mentioning it to Jon would be real kosher lol. I agree it was the best Yoda chant to date. Maybe for this tour Al and the band can stop and break into another song every time. That'd definitely be a nice addition. (Still want to know how they knew where to restart though...
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

After the Yoda chant, they just sing the chorus a few more times before playing off the ending. Skipping the chant, all they had to do was break back into the beginning of the end chorus.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Al ran around to all of the guys doing a keep it going motion with his hands, thats how they knew to play it, and as far as the cue, Bermuda was able to do that part with his drum
MinnieWeirdo2714

Post by MinnieWeirdo2714 »

Costello is their "go to song" for technical difficulties. In general, the cue lies on Al or Bermuda. Pre show, 501 legion rehearses standing positions on stage with stage tech. While backstage, mid show, they rehearse the actual movements. I imagine a band discussions occurs every night for every show for Al and the band as far as the set list and trouble shootings. The 501 legion posts these videos on their youtube. You can also search youtube "Weird Al radio radio." He also talked about it on the acoustic sessions audio interview earlier this year. That, is also on youtube. I'll post the link later.
Angel
"Sometimes we are hurt when our true friends commit mistakes. We should just forgive them and only remember how they supported us when we needed them the most." -Aarti Khurana-
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I remember that, it was in York, PA, October 16! (j/k, I had to look that up.)

I do have a note in my performance database about bailing from the chant, but I really don't recall it. I can only imagine that it fell apart so badly, there was no other option. That's the reason for the song, and the show has to crash hard before we actually play it

However, there was one time Al just wanted to do the song, and let us know beforehand that he'd be stopping Trash Day, and we'd go into Radio Radio. that may sound a bit risky to deliberately play for no reason, but we had other fail-safe songs in case of an emergency. :)

Bermuda
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

bermuda wrote:I can only imagine that it fell apart so badly, there was no other option.
There is a video on YouTube (if you wish to re-live the experience), and it was pretty hilarious that you decided to do a rimshot after Al tried to get it going again with the line "Weeeellll Doggies!" That little note about Trash Day is VERY interesting! Thanks for the note!
Last edited by Muppetboy09 on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Al told me after the show that something happened with the ear pieces, a missed signal or something
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

minnick27 wrote:Al told me after the show that something happened with the ear pieces, a missed signal or something
Seemed like they just started too fast, but I believe Al :D
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic