Silly Speculation

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Silly Speculation

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Big Lebowski song? Fanny Pack as a parody of Fancy? Spoilers as a parody of Royals? Tacky vs. Handy? Foil as a parody of Roar? FOIL being a song about algebra?

What piece(s) of Mandatory Fun speculation from the fans gave you the most amusement?

Also, have you shared any of the crazy speculation with Al, and if so what did he think?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Silly Speculation

Post by Big Spoon »

I'd be also interested in other crazier early pieces of speculation, like Blue Organ, Crazy Cow Therapist, Don't Hold Your Horses Hat, and the like from other albums.
And Peggy
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Along similar lines, it seems some pieces of speculation for this album ended up being surprisingly dead on (The concept of Foil, the SCOTS style parody). Anything really impress you and stand out?
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I was smiling at how sure everyone was that Jack Black et al were in the Iggy video! But a legit guess hadn't even occurred to me before... kudos to whoever first put together CSNY with Jackson Park Express to be like Marrakesh Express! Wrong, but very clever!

But some of the Polka guesses were funny, and also dead on. A while back, someone made a list of songs with some of them in the right places, including Get Lucky to end the polka. Bravo!

But there are still some unknowns... like which songs will have videos, when they'll debut, and which are animated or live.

New video at weirdal.com tomorrow morning at 11am ET.

Bermuda
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

bermuda wrote:... kudos to whoever first put together CSNY with Jackson Park Express to be like Marrakesh Express! Wrong, but very clever!

Bermuda
I was the one that posted that, but got the idea from an article I saw online in which the author was making her own guesses about the parody targets. Apparently not realizing that Al did original songs ( :rolleyes: ), she thought JPE would be a direct parody of "Marrakesh Express."
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Come on, the worst piece of speculation had to be "Fanny" as the lead single!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TMBJon wrote:Come on, the worst piece of speculation had to be "Fanny" as the lead single!
I don't know... we had "Foil" as a Breaking Bad song based on some nonsense about meth; that Game of Thrones "Fancy" parody that someone wrote the chorus to; and of course the universal appeal of "Nerd Lines," a song about long lines at a comic book convention.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Skippy wrote:and of course the universal appeal of "Nerd Lines," a song about long lines at a comic book convention.
I must have missed that one. :lol: Someone did suggest that "Fancy" would become "Nerdy." I guess they thought Al would want to replicate his biggest hit ever by making almost the same song. :lol: