The Album Leak

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

The Album Leak

Post by QuantumError »

Hey Jon!
I've kind of been wondering - how have you guys managed to do such a super job at keeping the album from leaking this time around?

I mean, I can kind of see in prior albums, people who may have worked in stores that would carry the album could have easily taken a copy from work and leaked before it was supposed to. I also take note that some people who pre-ordered on Amazon got their CDs before official launch. I'm guessing that there are privacy agreements between Al and the parodied artist so the original artist doesn't just blurt out their involvement with Al at risk of breaking contract..

It just kind of blows my mind. This album has had such a slow trickle of spoilers over the last two years and here we are one week from release, and we haven't even gotten an official announced list of who is parodied on the album (even though all of us on WOWAY already know those and have them figured out just from the titles and all..) Was this album and its release just a totally lucky shot as far as leaking goes (for you guys, I mean, since you all probably prefer it releases on the official date rather than being leaked), or have there been extra measures taken this time that ensured the album was released on its official date?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: The Album Leak

Post by bermuda »

It has been kept under wraps rather well. hasn't it! :)

The absence of an advance single is part of the reason, and as far as product being in stores before the release date, that's a pretty short window - stores wouldn't have product at this point anyway. Also, there are fewer stores around that carry CDs, so there's less product out there. In the case if iTunes, Amazon, and other digital distribution, I'm not sure they have the files yet, as the necessary processing takes just a few days. So, the CDs & tracks may not be in anyone's hands yet.

I know the band has been particularly hush-hush, some not even acknowledging the album on their social media pages. And I don't think my wife knew we'd been working on anything until she saw my album post on Facebook. I'll give her a CD next Tuesday, I think she'll enjoy it!

Bermuda