What is hard for you to play?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

WHiZZi
Be jealous.

What is hard for you to play?

Post by WHiZZi »

Are there any things which you can't do (easy) on drums? I know it's probably hard to play ukulele and solve a chess game while playing drums, but I'm actually talking about drum-wise.

I know you are a man-of-a-1000-styles, but I guess there must be a style which you rather not play or only able to play after a good time practicing? I mean, what if one of your bands decides to do a 6½/8 song with preferable double bass, you just go sit and start doing that or are you wondering how they came up with that? :hamsters:

And speaking of ukulele, do you play other instruments other than things you can and should hit? If not, ever considered starting to learn other instruments?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: What is hard for you to play?

Post by bermuda »

There are certain genres that I don't really do well, such as progressive jazz, latin, fusion, speed metal. I remember thinking that Grapefruit Diet would be impossible to duplicate, and in the end, I did okay with it and it turned out to be easier than I thought. I remember meeting Tim Donahue from Cherry Poppin Daddies and telling him that I thought his part was hard, he assured me it wasn't, and he was right!

I don't play any melodic instruments, despite my short bout with the accordion when I was about 8. I've forgotten it all, for which the music world should be grateful!

Bermuda