Producing Parodies?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Producing Parodies?

Post by Killingsworth »

bermuda wrote:Only once, for a song on the new album. There's a little bit of a story with it, I'll tell someday. :)
Okay, this song was "Inactive", wasn't it?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

minnick27 wrote:I'll bring up the Iggy thing since its all we can talk about it. Obviously Al jadnt gotten permission yet, but how early in the process are you involved? Does Al call you and say, "Im calling so and so on Tuesday, start checking the song out, or does he keep you in suspense until everything is a go?
It varies, we typically get a heads up on what we might be working on, but we normally don't start any real work until the song is approved.

There's a story about this track as well... someday.

Bermuda
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The Sporkman wrote:
bermuda wrote:Only once, for a song on the new album. There's a little bit of a story with it, I'll tell someday. :)
So... Can we hear that story now? :F
Not yet... :hamsters:
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

bermuda wrote:Some day I'll tell the story of one of the new songs, and the lengths that Jim and I went through to nail the sounds. Or, maybe I'll save that for my book! :hamsters:
Story time?
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

I'm just replying to this so that it'll jump back to the top of the posts and (perhaps) we can hear these stories. I understand that some of the folks from Imagine Dragons helped with "Inactive" (which I'm assuming is why their guitarist and drummer are thanked separately in the liner notes). But is there more to it than that? Where were the issues? And what happened with "Handy" that makes it anecdote-worthy (aside from Al's flight to Colorado to make it happen)?
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Moneybags wrote:And what happened with "Handy" that makes it anecdote-worthy (aside from Al's flight to Colorado to make it happen)?
I think Al talks about this in one of the multitude of interviews he did over the summer for the album. He said this was all set into place because Al set his own deadlines in order to make sure the album would be out by July 15 and the label grew concerned that they weren't hearing back from Iggy's camp in time.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...