Producing Parodies?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Producing Parodies?

Post by Killingsworth »

Which type of lead parody is more challenging for you and the band to recreate? The more synthesized and programmed songs like "White and Nerdy", "Whatever You Like" and "Perform This Way" or the more traditional guitar based ones (Eat It, Nirvana, Bedrock Anthem)?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: Producing Parodies?

Post by bermuda »

It depends on the particular era's production values and available technology, and of course the specific song. In general, today, I'd have to say that the sequenced material is more of a challenge than the live songs. While there are important aspects to recording a live band, especially with drum sounds, it's not too hard to capture the sound. And in the '80s when we started making albums, synth and drum sounds were still very indentifiable, and reproduceable. But as time went on, sounds were increasingly being layered, manipulated, and effected by cutting-edge artists and producers, and those songs were often parody targets. So while "sound design" is easy enough if you're creating the music, it's very tricky to decipher when re-creating a track. A change of perspective became necessary, from 'how did they do that?' to 'how do I do that?' There's often no way of knowing exactly what that artist or producer did, so there's a lot of work that goes into achieving those sounds from the ground up.

Some day I'll tell the story of one of the new songs, and the lengths that Jim and I went through to nail the sounds. Or, maybe I'll save that for my book! :hamsters:

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I think this was asked before, but have you ever gone to the original artist for help? And what was the longest it ever took you to figure out a song
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Only once, for a song on the new album. There's a little bit of a story with it, I'll tell someday. :)

I think I worked about 30 hours on Trapped In The Drive-Thru.

Bermuda
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

bermuda wrote:Some day I'll tell the story of one of the new songs, and the lengths that Jim and I went through to nail the sounds. Or, maybe I'll save that for my book!
Is this going to turn out to be one of those things like the "Elton John style parody mystery" where you won't tell us until someone eventually names the right song from the new album?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Killingsworth wrote:Is this going to turn out to be one of those things like the "Elton John style parody mystery" where you won't tell us until someone eventually names the right song from the new album?
Ah NO! Don't give him ideas!! :wacko:
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Yeah, I like that! You know what they say: mystery loves company!
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

At least it'll be easier to narrow down... :?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I'll bring up the Iggy thing since its all we can talk about it. Obviously Al jadnt gotten permission yet, but how early in the process are you involved? Does Al call you and say, "Im calling so and so on Tuesday, start checking the song out, or does he keep you in suspense until everything is a go?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

bermuda wrote:Only once, for a song on the new album. There's a little bit of a story with it, I'll tell someday. :)

I think I worked about 30 hours on Trapped In The Drive-Thru.

Bermuda
So... Can we hear that story now? :F