First Impressions

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

First Impressions

Post by QuantumError »

What did you think of Al and when you first started getting to know him?
How did you feel when you first started working with him, also as to how that evolved after starting to work more consistently on his projects with him a few years down the line?

Any first impressions of when you met Jim and Steve?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: First Impressions

Post by bermuda »

On my first introduction, I could tell that Al was fun, funny, and talented, and that's never changed. Initially, there was little to suggest there was a real career ahead with atypical longevity, but every step felt new, and still does. This continues to be a growth and learning process, I guess as life is intended to be.

Steve came along in time for the first album sessions (March, 1982) and he was very meticulous in the studio. He also brought Jim into the fold, although a little bit late to rehearse for the album, so Rick Derringer handled most of the parts on those first sessions. We'd already performed and made demos with other players, so I don't know if I immediately viewed them as permanent, but as we began to play more as a band, it was obvious that Jim and Steve were flexible, talented, and had a sense of humor, all of which are important being part of this team.

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

What about Ruben? Was Al already looking for a keyboard player when you guys did the Dr Demento show, or did it come after? Did you have any input on who Al was adding to the band?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Steve brought in some players for the Demento 20th Anniv Shows, and among the players was Ruben. but when it was time to tour in '92, Al asked me if I thought he'd be a good addition to the live band, and I said yes.

Well, everyone's entitled to one mistake!

Of course we had keyboardists before him both in the studio and live, but he's been the only one to stick around. We've asked him to leave, but he just keeps showing up at rehearsals, and the next thing you know, his suitcase is on the bus and he's sleeping in his bunk!

You guys think I'm kidding, don't you!

Bermuda
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Well, on the bright side, it's nice to know that Ruben never gives up! That's a good attitude to have.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Yeah, Ruben's a good guy.