Using Codes - A Tutorial

Important messages posted by admins or moderators.

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Using Codes - A Tutorial

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It took me while to figure out how to correctly use all of the above buttons and stuff when typing my messages. I am seeing a lot people having similar difficulties, and I have been PMing them telling them how to do certain things.

I decided to create a little tutorial for new (and not-so-new) users to help them use the buttons. (I guess it's the teacher in me! LOL!)

Mods - It may be a good idea to make this thread a sticky as it will probably be helpful to new users as they come along and that way it would be easy for them to find.

Okay, here goes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make an item of text bold , you can either hit the "B" button before and after you type the text or use this code: CODE bold

To make an item italicized , you can either hit the "I" button before and after you type, or use this code: CODE italicized

To make an item underlined , you can either hit the "U" button before and after you type, or use this code: CODE underlined

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now for the harder stuff.

Quotes. How to make a quote of noone in particular, like this:
bla bla bla bla bla
Use the quote buttons, or the following code:

CODE
bla bla bla bla bla
How to quote a particular user or someone else, like this:
Life is a bowl of three-legged salimanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of bosenberry yogurt.

Type the following code:

CODE
Al Yankovic wrote: Life is a bowl of three-legged salimanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of bosenberry yogurt.

Codes. To type something in code language like I've been doing above ^, use the following code:

CODE

Code: Select all

[quote="Al Yankovic"] Life is a bowl of three-legged salimanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of bosenberry yogurt. [/quote] 

Lists. How to create a list like this:

My favorite Al songs: One More Minute

Smells Like Nirvana

Albuquerque

Type the following code:

CODE My favorite Al songs:
  • One More Minute

Smells Like Nirvana

Albuquerque

NOTE: BE SURE TO HIT "RETURN" AFTER EACH ENTRY IN YOUR LIST!

List= Umm. :lookround: I...actually still haven't figured out what that one does. Maybe someone else can add a reply to this thread explaining that one for us. :)

Images. To include a picture, linked from a website, like this:

Type the following code:

CODE Image

NOTE: THIS IS CALLED DIRECT LINKING. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DIRECT LINK FROM THE MOTHERSHIP (weirdal.com). IF YOU DO, YOUR LINK WILL BE DISCONNECTED. ALSO, THERE ARE OTHER THINGS THAT MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE LINKED. CHECK THROUGH THIS SUB-FORUM FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR ASK A MOD.

Linking. If you want a web address in your message to link to a website, like this: www.weirdal.com, type the following code:

CODE www.weirdal.com

If you want a word or phrase to link to a website, like this , use the following code:

CODE [url=www.weirdal.com] this [/url

Color and Size If you want to change the color, like this , simply use the following code:

CODE this

NOTE: THIS WORKS THE SAME FOR ANY COLOR.

If you want to change the size, like this , use the following code:

CODE this

NOTE: AGAIN, THIS WORKS THE SAME FOR ANY SIZE.

BTW, most of what I typed in code here can be done with the buttons alone. But I think it's often faster and easier just to type the code. Now that you know how, you can too!

Well, that's my tutorial. I hope you learned something! :) Also, I hope you already know how to use Emoticons. If not, then I'll post a tutorial about that some other time. Right now I'm going to bed.

-Jeremy
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Gee, now why didn't I think of this...

Tho' I must say, yours is more complete. Perhaps WHiZZi will add it to the already existing thread.
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

Moved to announcements and locked :)