Generic Blues

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Generic Blues

Post by Yankomaniac »

Generic and Buckingham Blues rule so much! They definitely know how to play the blues, coudn't pick a better of the two though, they both rock hard and have really hilarious and clever lyrics and wicked guitar riffs. The harmonica melts my mind everytime too.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Post by JohnnyLurg »

Yankomaniac wrote:Generic and Buckingham Blues rule so much! They definitely know how to play the blues, coudn't pick a better of the two though, they both rock hard and have really hilarious and clever lyrics and wicked guitar riffs. The harmonica melts my mind everytime too.
Dead Car Battery Blues is pretty darn good too.
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Totally rules.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

I've never seen a specific song mentioned for this song, just that it's a "blues style parody." Well, I've been working on this timeline project thing and I think I've found the song GB is based on:

Muddy Waters - Lonesome Road Blues

That harmonica is so dead-on in so many places that it can't possibly be an accident. There's also the "lonesome road" lyrical connection.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Skippy wrote:I've never seen a specific song mentioned for this song, just that it's a "blues style parody." Well, I've been working on this timeline project thing and I think I've found the song GB is based on:

Muddy Waters - Lonesome Road Blues

That harmonica is so dead-on in so many places that it can't possibly be an accident. There's also the "lonesome road" lyrical connection.
Wow! That's almost the exact same. I don't know about anyone else, but when someone uncovers songs that are so close to Al's versions like this, it takes away from my appreciation of Al's version a bit because it's not as "original" as I thought. :think:
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yeah, Muddy Waters is definitely one of the main influences for Generic Blues, specifically Lonesome Road Blues.

I disagree that it takes away from Al's style parody though. In the case of Dick's Automotive, I concede it was a little disappointing to realize it was basically the same song. Otherwise I think it makes the style parodies much better to see just how closely he's able to approximate the target, appreciate the subtle differences, and most of the time it enhances the overall joke of the song.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

As a fan of music in general, and especially the history of American pop/rock music, this only enhances the Al experience for me. I guess some could see it as Al ripping off these songs, but I think he's just paying homage to the music and artists he enjoys or who have had a lasting impact on the pop landscape.

I like that he's so aware of the entirety of the musical spectrum and not just whatever artists he's "skewering" at the moment.
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child.

What's the literary term to describe this statement?
Cameron the Taco
Occasional

Post by Cameron the Taco »

Yankovic-Gretzky wrote:My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child.

Impossible irony?
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Yankovic-Gretzky wrote:My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child.

I think this is the word you're looking for.