"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: New Polka 2010

Post by TMBJon »

Moneybags, I hear you, but it seems like Al is going with a sort-of theme for this polka. Hard to explain exactly what the theme is, but this polka is not unlike Angry White Boy Polka in that all of the songs (with the possible exception of Fireflies) fit within the same genre and are more or less interchangeable. I think I have a handle on Al's polka philosophy at this point: he seems to go for songs with stupid lyrics/innuendo which are seen in a whole new light when set to polka music, he chooses songs that represent the range of material he may have looked into parodying if the album timing had been somewhat different, and he tries to represent the overall trend of pop music since the last album. If I'm right about all of those things then this polka seems to have hit the nail on the head.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

TMBJon wrote:The one glaring omission on this list is Taylor Swift. Wonder if she turned the idea down?
It's possible he couldn't get into contact with her. I think she was touring for quite some time during the first part of this year and last year.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Sounds like a good polka, and it helps eliminate parody possibilites for the ALbum. While it isn't unheard of for Al to parody a song of an artist featured in the polka on the same album (I think Eminem is the only time this happened, correct me if I'm wrong), that at least lowers the chances of us getting a full Lady Gaga song parody. Also, a song talked about in another thread ("Party in the USA") was NOT included in the polka, which tells me there's still a decent chance it could be parodied, whether or not the "soundcheck" rumor was true.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Anybody who knows "Replay" by IYAZ needs to see this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLvT3yOF70

Also yes, Fred. "Fireflies", along with "I Kissed a Girl" are the only songs in the polka that I actually detest.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Replay is the only song I wasn't familiar with at all before seeing this list. Now that I'm listening to it again though, maybe I have heard this. Anyway a truly stellar list of songs.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I'm unfamiliar with 7 out of 12 of those songs. I don't think I've ever even heard of Jay Sean.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Everyone reading this list who doesn't know some of the songs, I highly recommend checking them all out on YouTube or your favorite streaming service. I realized I knew all but one of them once I heard them despite not recognizing most of the names.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I'm unfamiliar with three, but I'm sure I'd recognize them instantly after hearing the polka (Not gonna seek them out....I'd rather hear the polka first)

Re: Kings of Leon....I think they're a very strong parody contender now that they've been eliminated from the polka.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?