7/23/10 Melbourne, FL King Center

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Alinite27
Off The Deep End

7/23/10 Melbourne, FL King Center

Post by Alinite27 »

Another classic Florida venue to see Al in. I've seen him here a few times, and I've enjoyed this venue every time. Every seat provides a good view, and they have a couple screens on the corners for a few different views of the show.

After-show is usually pretty good at this place. The buses are gated, but if you wait at the gate, they'll usually let you meet Al...if he's up to doing it that night. Last time, they brought us into the backstage area, and it was a very casual meet-n'-greet. Talked to the band for awhile each.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: 7/23/10 Melbourne, FL King Center

Post by Elvis »

Picked up Melbourne tickets on Ticketmaster. Best I could find was Row G, which looked decent enough. Now just gotta work on plane tickets.

Dave
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Not sure how I let this ticket on-sale slip my mind this morning. I was just eating breakfast and listening to Bubba The Love Sponge on Sirius. Thanks Dave for posting about this, once I got online I saw it...and called the venue.

Wish I had called earlier. Possibly could have gotten better, but anyway, got a great seat.

Row F, ORCH, dead center, the girl said. Should turn out to be good, even if my breakfast and Bubba kept me away.
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

I somehow ended up getting two tickets to this show (and forgetting one completely - long story!) - if anybody needs one, just PM me here, and be patient - I don't log in every day. Face value, or make me an offer! Row B.
kaffy©
Obsessed
Location: In Between Corn and a Major City, others call it NW Indiana

Post by kaffy© »

albinodwarf27 wrote:I somehow ended up getting two tickets to this show (and forgetting one completely - long story!) - if anybody needs one, just PM me here, and be patient - I don't log in every day. Face value, or make me an offer! Row B.
Its a shame I'm going to Brickyard next week... LOL Still jealous ya'll are going to Florida. :good:
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

Kaffy, look for my mom at the Brickyard, she works at one of the gates... I can never remember which one.

Florida was my home for years, I can't wait to get down there. Lots of friends to visit, and I'm bringing one to her first Al concert in Orlando.
kaffy©
Obsessed
Location: In Between Corn and a Major City, others call it NW Indiana

Post by kaffy© »

albinodwarf27 wrote:Kaffy, look for my mom at the Brickyard, she works at one of the gates... I can never remember which one.

you know that track is like 2 1/2 miles right.. I'd never find your mom :P

Yay for first Al concert! That is so exciting!! :-D
annacanada
Occasional

Post by annacanada »

Yay!! I can't wait to see this concert!! (I'm seeing 3 in Florida!)
You can use your ESP to learn to play guitar!
ARE YOU READY TO POLKA?!?!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It looks like alinite is providing annacanada with a ticket, and it looks like Nancy is upgrading me... so I have an extra. PM me.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Thanks to Nancy, I had a great seat for this show, in Row B right in front of Jim. Close enough to see all Al's facial expressions, and those always add considerably to the hilarity. I was also sitting in the midst of a family, all the way from preteen kids to Grandma, all fans-- even Grandma, although this was her first concert. She knew the recorded music, though. And the 12 year old girl beside me was a BIG fan. She sang along to nearly all the songs, including the Internet Leaks ones and the ones written before she was born. She also got the Nirvana cup.

The rotating songs were Frank's 2000" TV and Good Old Days. My first time hearing Frank's live, and I hope it won't be the last (well, ok, I'm ticketed for enough future shows that it's very unlikely to have been the last). I just can't say how much I'm enjoying hearing these older songs, since I only became a fan in 2002. They sound so great live. That's one of the things I really like about Al's shows... the funny lines may go from being hilarious to amusing when you hear them four times in a week, but the musicianship, the playing, the singing, the harmonies... that will always make it worthwhile. And of course, with the jokes, you're likely to be sitting near somebody who HASN'T heard them already that week, so you can enjoy watching a fellow concertgoer get the full impact for the first time. That's good too.

The Nirvana cheerleaders seemed a bit on the inhibited side (which surprised me, the other FL cheerleaders have been pretty good, really threw some hip action into it) but the 501st made up for it. They boogied down. We had a couple of the red-cloaked ones as an honor guard for Vader... what are they called?

I've had to use earplugs in the past (or at least one earplug) at some shows, but I haven't this time. Maybe it's due to setlist changes, but the sound has been good and clear, but not painful, at all three shows so far. The only thing that leaves me saying "Okay, that was just too loud" is the video soundtrack for CNR. The song itself is fine.

It was a little odd after the show... the ushers said there would be a meet & greet out by the bus. So about 30 or so of us were out there, lining the driveway. Ruben came by and sold me a CD. We watched the 501st roll their gear out, pack up and leave. And then the bus pulled out and left. What the..?

I know, I know, a concert ticket only entitles you to a concert. And I just saw Al in Jacksonville. And I don't even have anything I want signed or anything, I only wanted to say hello. But still. Maybe I'll have better luck on the west coast. At least we didn't get rained on. Oh, and the concert was great. Did I mention that the concert was great?

That's all from Melbourne!