The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

NannerPuss

Re: The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic

Post by NannerPuss »

Thanks everyone. My mom is such a jerk sometimes...
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

Try asking for a Chris Brown album, he's a great influence. Or an R. Kelly album. Or a Toby Keith album. Really, any musician who does drugs, abuses women and/or glorifies war.

Then tell her you played some of HER favorite albums (Celine Dion?) backwards and heard a message telling you to quit school and devote your life to making crackpipes "good enough for the dark lord satan himself."

Al messes around with the music we've all been forcefed, thus encouraging you to think creatively, joke around, and question the status quo. THAT'S why your mother doesn't like him, because he undermines her thought-policing authority. This may seem harsh, but I feel very strongly about this - your mother is not a jerk, she is a fascist control freak, there's a difference. She sees you not as a human being with thoughts and opinions of your own, but rather an investment to be molded to her tastes. SHE IS ONLY PRETENDING TO LOVE YOU. Always remember that.

I admit I don't know the woman, but that's the only reason I can possibly imagine. Either that, or she's saving it as a Christmas gift and using THE WORST COVER EVER.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

FredHuggins wrote:Try asking for a Chris Brown album, he's a great influence. Or an R. Kelly album. Or a Toby Keith album. Really, any musician who does drugs, abuses women and/or glorifies war.

Then tell her you played some of HER favorite albums (Celine Dion?) backwards and heard a message telling you to quit school and devote your life to making crackpipes "good enough for the dark lord satan himself."

Al messes around with the music we've all been forcefed, thus encouraging you to think creatively, joke around, and question the status quo. THAT'S why your mother doesn't like him, because he undermines her thought-policing authority. This may seem harsh, but I feel very strongly about this - your mother is not a jerk, she is a fascist control freak, there's a difference. She sees you not as a human being with thoughts and opinions of your own, but rather an investment to be molded to her tastes. SHE IS ONLY PRETENDING TO LOVE YOU. Always remember that.

I admit I don't know the woman, but that's the only reason I can possibly imagine. Either that, or she's saving it as a Christmas gift and using THE WORST COVER EVER.
And this is why, Dear Reader, that FredHuggins is my favourite poster on WoWAY by far
:lol: :great:
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

:lol:

Fred, that was great!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Thank you, Fred. I also second Ludo Vicas' post here.

Anyway, on a semi related note, this is something I've been thinking about for a long time and had to post in this thread. What if Al just put out a sequel to "Permanent Record" this year? (another four disc box set with all the hits and Al's favorites from the last four albums...and he didn't have to omit anything) Based on what he picked for Disc 2 of the Essentials, this is what I think the track list of PR Vol. 2 would look like.

DISC 5
1. Since You've Been Gone
2. Gump
3. Everything You Know Is Wrong
4. Amish Paradise
5. The Alternative Polka (most likely with "Buddy Holly" edited back in professionally)
6. The Night Santa Went Crazy (extra gory version)
7. Pretty Fly For A Rabbi
8. The Weird Al Show Theme (or Jerry Springer)
9. Your Horoscope For Today
10. The Saga Begins
11. It's All About The Pentiums
12. Albuquerque

DISC 6
1. Bob
2. eBay
3. Hardware Store
4. Wanna B Ur Lovr
5. Couch Potato
6. Why Does This Always Happen To Me?
7. I'll Sue Ya
8. Canadian Idiot
9. Pancreas
10. Don't Download This Song
11. White And Nerdy
12. Trapped In The Drive-Thru

If he had put this out after the new album, the only "Leaks" I see making this collection would be Craigslist, CNR and Ringtone. He'd also probably include the new "big production" song he said he was working on and the two strongest parodies from teh next album, whatever they happen to be.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

caseyk27 wrote:If he had put this out after the new album, the only "Leaks" I see making this collection would be Craigslist, CNR and Ringtone.
Really, I'd personally prefer Skipper Dan over Craigslist and Whatever You Like over Ringtone.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Not that it matters, but Craigslist is the only leak I think is good enough to be listed on any compilation album.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

JCM wrote:
caseyk27 wrote:If he had put this out after the new album, the only "Leaks" I see making this collection would be Craigslist, CNR and Ringtone.
Really, I'd personally prefer Skipper Dan over Craigslist and Whatever You Like over Ringtone.
Whenever this new album comes out, I'm sure it will contain at least two other parodies that are stronger than WYL.
Tony Goldmark
Occasional

Post by Tony Goldmark »

Thanks everyone. My mom is such a jerk sometimes...
My wife Marissa had a similar mother. She told me that once when she was a kid, her family was on a road trip, listening to a cassette tape of Bad Hair Day that Marissa bought with her own money. Halfway through Amish Paradise, when Al said "I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in hell," her mother ejected the tape and THREW IT OUT THE WINDOW, to shield everybody from such foul language.

Marissa isn't on speaking terms with her anymore, for many VERY good reasons of which that incident was only a microcosm. I don't know if your mother is quite the monster Fred Huggins describes, but I do know that not every parent deserves respect.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Tony Goldmark wrote:I don't know if your mother is quite the monster Fred Huggins describes
Tony, you are definitely much more of a realist than FredHuggins is. :rolleyes:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.