Are We Weird?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

You gotta keep em' seperated
Die-hard Fan

Post by You gotta keep em' seperated »

i didnt mean "devide" its just one thing that bugs us. Unlike other things that "devide" fans in other forums.
I saw a face.
did it have a nose?
yes.
That DOES sound like a face!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

TMBJon @ May 05, 2009 01:31 am wrote: but I'd say there's only a 60-70% chance I would watch a video of most bands I really really like, as compared with Weird Al who I would literally buy anything he released, read anything he posted, etc.
I agree, but why is that?
Keeglez
Occasional

Post by Keeglez »

Lol and even those (like me) who aren't a walking encyclopedia for Al facts and just love the music can be here. Could be to that people who search out this forum actually care.... And yeah this is a very "hangowtish" kinda place so people feel comfortable showing there knowledge.... In other forums the divide is usually between the "noobs" who if they don't play their cards right get banned and the senior members. It's the whole hierachy that stops people wanting to show they know to much or saying stuff because they might get burned or proved wrong. Whereas here it's just like a group of mates hanging out. We don't put each other down or burn each other (except for the Yankovic thing) and any teasing is done in good fun.

So no we aren't weird we're just a group who all have similar intrests but we don't have the hierachy structure most other forums are built around.
www.youtube.com/chasingpinkelephants
www.bebo.com/chasingpinkelefants

Im in Chasing Pink Elephants! Third Member!!
Keeglez
Occasional

Post by Keeglez »

And the spelling is "Divide" daniel. Devide isn't a word lol
www.youtube.com/chasingpinkelephants
www.bebo.com/chasingpinkelefants

Im in Chasing Pink Elephants! Third Member!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

scottidog @ May 05, 2009 01:43 am wrote: I agree, but why is that?
I touched on this in my previous post, but I think that being fans of "Weird Al" really brings out our inner geek. It's more similar to being a Trekkie than being a KanYe West fan (or any rock/pop artist).

Also, devide can be a word if you're referring to the Delft Visualization and Image Processing Development Environment, which is a Python-based dataflow application builder that enables the rapid prototyping of medical visualization and image processing applications via visual programming. (obviously)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

TMBJon @ May 05, 2009 07:57 pm wrote: Also, devide can be a word if you're referring to the Delft Visualization and Image Processing Development Environment, which is a Python-based dataflow application builder that enables the rapid prototyping of medical visualization and image processing applications via visual programming. (obviously)
Well, DUH.

Who wouldn't know that?
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
wayword
Occasional

Post by wayword »

I think the behavior on this board is entirely consistent with what I've seen on the other board I frequent, a Beatles board. There are people who know everything there is to know about the Beatles, and can competently criticize most professionally written books and post a list of flaws, by page number, that makes it into the national press (this happened rather recently). Every piece of music, every outtake, every track is collected or at least known and analyzed. Yes, it's an obsession, but I don't think it's an unhealthy one as long as it doesn't become the only thing in the person's life. It's an interest. When I love something, I like to learn all about it. For many people, it's the same, no matter what interest or fandom we're following.

So to answer your original question, Scottidog, no, I don't think Al fans are weird -- certainly not in the "fan" behaviors. (If they're weird on their own, more power to them.) I haven't seen very much with bands, as most of my fandoms are literature vs bands, but yes, people make presents and keep up and collect. It's all great fun and I think it's terrific!

I must add, I think it's easier to sustain an interest when your subject is a worthy and interesting human being. I lose interest if I dig into a personality and realize they're a twerp. Twerps are everywhere; they aren't special. When someone is talented _and_ a good person (in whatever way), I'm likely to be a fan for life.

EDIT: Oops-- I meant to add: There are fans of all degrees, from the super knowledgeable to the casual listener. I like them all. To me a fan is a fan-- and that's a good thing. I'd rather an artist I admired had lots of fans who enjoyed their work and came to their concerts. Some fans get snotty about what constitutes a fan (we have that discussion often on the Beatles board), and I think it's silly. No, you don't have to have Paul McCartney's solo catalog memorized to be a fan. You can just like whatever songs you've heard. It's all okay with me, and I'm glad to have you! Cheers.
"I think the biggest secret to keeping a band together is, don’t be a jerk." -- WAY
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Hmm... I have lots of thoughts on this topic, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put them all in coherent sentences.

I've always been a "rabid" fan (and how much do I love that word?!) of the things I've been a fan of. I don't know how to be a fan any other way. (Ask me about The X-Files, Smallville, or Highlander: The Series and you'll see)

Thing is, it's very difficult (not impossible, though) to be a rabid fan unless you flock with other rabid fans. When I first found Al (only a year ago!) on YouTube, I spent weeks trying to catch up with everything he's ever done. And, as much as I squeed and squeed on my LJ about it, I didn't get more than a "oh yeah, he's funny" from my LJ friends. I kept coming back to WOWAY because it seemed like you guys knew everything about everything about Al, and I could find all the info I wanted to know over here. So one day I signed up to keep track of the read and unread post, and the next thing I knew, I was actively posting. Even though I thought at the time (and I still think) that some of you guys are a little bit KRAAAAYZYYYY!!! :P

Anyway... yeah, I don't really have a point. Move along.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

TMBJon @ May 05, 2009 01:57 am wrote: Also, devide can be a word if you're referring to the Delft Visualization and Image Processing Development Environment, which is a Python-based dataflow application builder that enables the rapid prototyping of medical visualization and image processing applications via visual programming. (obviously)
Speaking of your inner geek!

wayward wrote: I must add, I think it's easier to sustain an interest when your subject is a worthy and interesting human being. I lose interest if I dig into a personality and realize they're a twerp. Twerps are everywhere; they aren't special. When someone is talented _and_ a good person (in whatever way), I'm likely to be a fan for life.

ITA. In fact it's why I am an Al fan. As I was doing the obsessive new fan, help I'm behind 20 years worth of stuff research, I came across a "I met Al and here are the pictures to prove it!!!!" webpage. As I read the whole thing, the fan had two pictures with Al. She said that he was concerned that he had blinked and wanted to make sure she had a good picture, so he asked for a second shot. As I thought about that, I had read enough about him to know there isn't a vain bone in his body. He couldn't have cared how he looked. He wanted to make sure she had a nice picture because he knew it would be important to her. So he took that little extra time and effort just to make sure she'd have a nice memory. And as you research, you find all kinds of stories like that, where he showed extraordinary kindness to his fans.

Speaking of the "duh" factor of the other board I'm on, I found a picture of the band wearing some tuxedos at some event. When I asked about it, the one member who even responded to it was the mother in law of one of the band members, and she had never seen the picture. Ordinarily, you might think that the MIL wouldn't be all that invested in her SIL's career, but this woman does the upkeep/admin of this particular fan board. Go figure.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Personally, I really like to pursue interests. If I have any interest in things I like to research them. Which happened with Al, apparently, and a lot of other bands/things I'm fans of/part of, so to speak.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect