Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Re: Generic Al Blather 5.0

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Well, this was a surprise.

Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Lately, I've been thinking about some of my least favorite Weird Al songs that seemingly everybody else likes a lot more. Many of them are ones that had music videos, ones that I saw the music videos for first, as opposed to just listening to the songs. And I wonder, should I judge a song based on whether I thought the music video was really good or funny?

Of course, there are some songs that I like a lot more than the music videos, especially when it comes to the last three albums (when so many songs got music videos that some were bound to not be as good). And my early fandom/exposure to Al was through things that had multiple music videos. My fandom began with the 1996 Al-TV special (I missed the beginning, and although it aired hundreds of times that year I never saw the whole thing on TV, only watching part of a rebroadcast once afterwards). With that I really enjoyed all the wacky, wild humor of Like a Surgeon and Headline News but didn't laugh as hard at Fat or Amish Paradise (of course by then, with the parodies following the songs they spoofed, I was trying to guess the parody titles, with those titles not being what I had guessed... And this was my first exposure to the term Amish). And then I got a few home video releases of music videos (and rented The Compleat Al), and was really enjoying the humor from Jurassic Park and UHF and others. Of course, as I was enjoying the music videos, I also realized that the lyrics were not as funny as the music videos (it seems like, pre-2006, the songs with the really funniest lyrics are ones that didn't get music videos). And I have come to realize that I could potentially like some songs a lot more if I'm judging by the music/singing as opposed to the amount of humor or how much I like the humor.

Of course, sometimes what I really like about the songs (at first) is their subject matter. I heard parts of Eat It and I Lost on Jeopardy before I saw the music videos and became a fan, but enjoyed them, particularly Jeopardy because it sounded like a funny concept.

And after watching many of Al's music videos recently, it seems like they were their wackiest in the 1980s. It seems like many of those barely have a shot with no visual humor. In the 1990s it seems like the visual humor was less, though there were videos with plenty of such humor. And I think some people have mentioned the most recent videos not being too gag-filled (probably because of lower budgets). In fact while I think Tacky is a really great song and music video, I can not think of anything that happens in that video that I find particularly funny (not even the tacky clothing).
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

weird user wrote:In fact while I think Tacky is a really great song and music video, I can not think of anything that happens in that video that I find particularly funny (not even the tacky clothing).
I find Jack Black twerking hilarious but I also never grew up so.... :P
In hiding since 2010
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, Jack Black's twerking is hilarious. I also laughed when Al did the "zombie" motions at the end of the video.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
DrSteggy
Off The Deep End
Awards: Winner, Survivor All Stars

Post by DrSteggy »

Yeah, I have to agree. I found Jack Black's performance pretty funny. I think he's pretty funny in general, though.
"Positioning is everything in life." A. de La Hunta
SgtPinkie

Post by SgtPinkie »

This is not Al related in the slightest, but I have no idea where else to put it.

So, does anybody remember The Wiggles? Well, apparently, they had a lineup change and all of the original ones are gone, except for one. But that's not important.

What is important is they did a parody of "Problems" (Ariana Grande) about yogurt. Sounds fine, right? But then it goes in-depth about lactose intolerance, and, honestly, I can't even imagine '80s Al singing these lyrics (Even though he obviously didn't really rely on it, you have to admit 80s Al did use his share of gross-out humor). They're just that unnerving. Possibly because The Wiggles are a children's band.

Youtube
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

I became a little bit nerdier along with a little more white and nerdy last night. I watched Monty Python The Holy Grail for the first time last night. Well, half of it.... Am I less of a nerdy Al fan if I say I didn't find it that funny and didn't much care for it? :sorry:
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

crazygurl14 wrote:I became a little bit nerdier along with a little more white and nerdy last night. I watched Monty Python The Holy Grail for the first time last night. Well, half of it.... Am I less of a nerdy Al fan if I say I didn't find it that funny and didn't much care for it? :sorry:
Personally I find it hilarious and watched it several times, but when it comes to homour that balances on the edge of silliness (and Holy Grail is one of that kind), it really depend on one's taste. For example, one Monty Python fan recomended me "The Meaning of Life" claiming it's the best thing Monty Python ever created, but I didn't enjoy it :?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I cant stand Python. In fact theres alot of nerdy things i cant stand. LoTR is another i just dont get
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
terpsichore
Occasional

Post by terpsichore »

SgtPinkie wrote:This is not Al related in the slightest, but I have no idea where else to put it.

So, does anybody remember The Wiggles? Well, apparently, they had a lineup change and all of the original ones are gone, except for one. But that's not important.

What is important is they did a parody of "Problems" (Ariana Grande) about yogurt. Sounds fine, right? But then it goes in-depth about lactose intolerance, and, honestly, I can't even imagine '80s Al singing these lyrics (Even though he obviously didn't really rely on it, you have to admit 80s Al did use his share of gross-out humor). They're just that unnerving. Possibly because The Wiggles are a children's band.

Youtube
bwahahahaha i just died laughing! :up: so weird and random! i dissolved into giggles when they started singing about diarrhea. because i have the sense of humor of your average 12-year-old.

(and as someone who's lactose intolerant, it is very accurate! yogurt is :censored: evil.)
Last edited by terpsichore on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.