Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Wow, you learn something new every day.
And Peggy
wayword
Occasional

Post by wayword »

OE, I love you. You made my morning!
"I think the biggest secret to keeping a band together is, don’t be a jerk." -- WAY
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

FS Key's words fit the tune better. I heard an old recording of To Anachreon... once on Dr D.
This means something. This is important.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

weird_el @ April 21, 2009 02:36 pm wrote: I heard an old recording of To Anachreon... once on Dr D.
Dr. D-- that would be the MA musicologist who has always recognized the value of the polemical allusion and pataphysics and whatnot of Mr. Yankovic, no? :D
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Orthography Enthusiast @ April 21, 2009 12:48 am wrote: Our own national anthem took its tune from what can only be described as an eighteenth century drinking song
As are quite a few hymns. And probably vise-versa.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

TMBJon @ April 21, 2009 04:33 am wrote: I agree that it was written with overly-academic speech, but the core of what the article was saying - that Weird Al is in essence a post-modern artist - feeds into the very reasons why I first got into Al, and why I still listen to him to this day. Obviously, I didn't have a clue what post-modernism or irony were when I was nine years old, but the concepts therein I've always found humorous.
I also enjoyed the essay, but agree with everyone else that it would be improved somewhat by being put into less arcane terminology. Direct is best.
There's nothing much there I haven't said or thought before myself I think we are all agreed this is a fan. I think its cool:)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
wayword
Occasional

Post by wayword »

Orthography Enthusiast @ April 21, 2009 08:48 am wrote: Dr. D-- that would be the MA musicologist who has always recognized the value of the polemical allusion and pataphysics and whatnot of Mr. Yankovic, no? :D
LOL! Beautiful. That's why the good Doctor's got a PhD-- Pretty High Discernment in these matters.
"I think the biggest secret to keeping a band together is, don’t be a jerk." -- WAY
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I just saw a Carmax commercial and the guy in it says to a car "Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?" I did a double take!
Is my dude a dweeb?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I've heard that phrase others places before, too. I don't think Al was the first person to coin it.
And Peggy
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

He might not have been but I still did a double take :)
Is my dude a dweeb?