Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: Generic Al Blather

Post by anthontherun »

As a stats geek (the spiritual brother to polling nerds), this sounds awesome. Any WOWAYers who get the call, let us know!

Also, I will fight anyone who disapproves of Taylor Swift. :stern:
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Thinking about how impressive Weird Al's concerts are, I wonder when they started being really amazing. I think it was said in the VH1 Video Timeline that the video screens were added in the 1990s, though adding video screens and showing clips alone probably wouldn't be what it takes to be really impressive (and was probably a bigger deal in the pre-YouTube age). I'm guessing that the earlier concerts were just as great as the average performers great concert. There probably weren't as many costume changes (though I don't doubt he wore the Eat It jacket for that song back in 1984).

I wonder if there's an official list out there of all songs that Al has been in concert for on the live stage.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I would like to think Al's concerts started to improve w/The Stupid Tour in '85. I believe this was the first tour where they started showing more AL-TV clips/Interviews and added more costumes (like the "Surgeon" scrubs and the DTBS/Devo suits in addition to the vinyl "Eat It" jacket). Even before then, I think the screens have been even a small part of Al's concerts but back in '84 he only used them to show the "Ricky" video just before he put on the "Eat It" jacket.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote:I wonder if there's an official list out there of all songs that Al has been in concert for on the live stage.
Wonder no more, weird user...
http://weirdal.com/archives/miscellaneous/set-lists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

TMBJon wrote:
weird user wrote:I wonder if there's an official list out there of all songs that Al has been in concert for on the live stage.
Wonder no more, weird user...
http://weirdal.com/archives/miscellaneous/set-lists/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, but I mistakenly said "concert" when I meant "costume".

That might make a good list thread for the forum, if there isn't one, a list of songs he's been in costume for live.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

weird user wrote:Thanks, but I mistakenly said "concert" when I meant "costume".
If you look at the galley, you should be able to get a pretty good idea on what songs he was in costume for!
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I stared typing out a list and then I realized its just easier to say hes in a costume for every song barring the polka, first 2-3 songs after that and half the medley.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

There have been exceptions for the first part of the shows; during the Straight Outta Lynwood tour, Al was dressed like Billy Joe Armstrong for the first four songs.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
yank
Occasional

Post by yank »

Did you know that when UHF came out, Orion Pictures' people were saying "Al, you're going to be the next Woody Allen!" and that he was in a city hotel where every morning a bowl of fresh strawberries was set by his bed, courtesy of Orion. And when the movie didn't make the expected sales, he woke up one morning and....no more free strawberries!

Round about this time, Al went on Circus of the Stars. He climbed a pole, high up in the air, at night. It was called a swaypole. All of a sudden, in the middle of a stunt, the top of the pole shot down to Earth. Al leapt off the thing, crashed into his trainer, knocking him down. He was very glad to get off that swaypole. You see, there had been no harness, no net, no airbag. I'm glad he didn't die.

Just a couple things that happened to him during that time. I learned about them both on Youtube.....
"First of all, I don't particularly MIND the rabid wolverine in my underwear...."

"I was not shocked by the power of the Internet," he said. "I was counting on it."

"IT'S THE WEEKEND!" At the Zoo.fm
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

yank wrote:Round about this time, Al went on Circus of the Stars. He climbed a pole, high up in the air, at night. It was called a swaypole. All of a sudden, in the middle of a stunt, the top of the pole shot down to Earth. Al leapt off the thing, crashed into his trainer, knocking him down.
I strongly believe that was an intentional part of a trick. It was really impressive, I could hardly believe it's really Al the first time I watched it.

BTW, it's a bit funny you keep posting stuff that 99% of people here saw more than once as if it was breaking news :D . You're going through that exciting phase of fanhood, when there's new exciting things everywhere, like a fan equivalent of childhood : :D