Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Skippy
Addicted

Re: Generic Al Blather 5.0

Post by Skippy »

weird user wrote:Will future music videos be owned by different companies than the company that owns the previous music videos (assuming that company also owns the rights to the Mandatory Fun music videos which are funded by various websites)?
That's a really interesting question. Who does own the MF videos?
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Al mentioned in the Google Talks interview that Nerdist, FoD and so on have "exclusivity windows" for the videos, and they will revert back to the label and put up on YouTube after a couple of weeks.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Good. I've avoided Handy because of all the Yahoo issues (Granted, I've heard other reasons to avoid it too :P )
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Considering many artists have determined that they've "made it" when Weird Al did a parody of one of their songs, I wonder how they feel when they're not only parodied but their song parodied is the one chosen as the lead single/lead song.

Of course, many of those are probably the biggest hits at the time they're parodied, but then there are some lead songs (Jurassic Park, The Saga Begins) that are parodies of really old, classic songs. But it seems like most of the lead parodies have gone on to be "legendary" songs, though there might be some exceptions.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Teh Dingo wrote:Good. I've avoided Handy because of all the Yahoo issues (Granted, I've heard other reasons to avoid it too :P )
Yahoo issues? The video's been working fine for me on Yahoo. In fact, the comment section of the video doesn't even have the racism and flame wars that Yahoo is known for.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Haha, someone just posted this to Al on twitter. I kind of like the idea.

"DC comics should cast you as Plasticman in a movie".

I think he'd be perfect!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

But hes already Animal Man. I cannot handle another Human Torch/Captain America situation.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I guess I'm not up on these things. I still think he'd make a perfect Plasticman.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

So Al said that his record contract would end when Mandatory Fun was released, and since the release he keeps mentioning a 32-year record contract. So I wonder what the terms of his contract were. Did he really have the same contract for 32 years without renewal? Did his contract always state that he'd need to do 14 albums before he could get out of his contract? I thought the contract listed the number of years he was under contract for.

I wonder if any of Al's past albums boosted significantly in sales following the release of a new album. I'm pretty sure that the first album didn't boost in sales following the success of Eat It and In-3D, considering that album didn't achieve gold status until the late-1990s (around the time I bought the album... Could I have helped it become gold? ;) ).

Hmm, thinking of that last question, let me think about if any of it inspired me to purchase more... I became a fan around the time Bad Hair Day was released, though not because of that album or any of its songs (my fandom started with the Al-TV special from that year). Me getting Al's release would be scattered a bit over a few years (although I did buy a couple albums with my own money, most of the albums I got between 1996-1998 were birthday or Christmas presents). But then after the release of Running with Scissors (and after seeing the Behind the Music and VH1 Video Timeline episodes on Al) I pushed myself harder to complete my collection, getting the last of the albums I didn't have (well, except for Permanent Record and Peter and the Wolf) over the course of one year.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

weird user wrote:So Al said that his record contract would end when Mandatory Fun was released, and since the release he keeps mentioning a 32-year record contract. So I wonder what the terms of his contract were. Did he really have the same contract for 32 years without renewal? Did his contract always state that he'd need to do 14 albums before he could get out of his contract? I thought the contract listed the number of years he was under contract for.
He said in more than one interview that the contract was renewed a couple of times, each time adding a couple of albums. It wasn't said but I imagine Al agreed to add them in change for better conditions for him, because he said initial contract wasn't too good, but he didn't take it too seriously because he didn't think he'll be in bussiness for long, and he didn't really had any other options at the time.