Generic Al Blather

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Generic Al Blather 5.0

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I know we're just talking about a hypothetical thing here that nobody actually expects would happen, but the problems involved with doing a ten hour concert would be a lot more than just time. He'd also have to plan lighting, video segments, costuming, etc. for all that. It would never happen.

A more realistic final concert tour would be where he brings back ALL of the biggest concert hits that have been retired over the years: "Like a Surgeon," "Dare to be Stupid," "Bedrock Anthem," etc. And make a much longer medley including a great deal more parodies. I envision an epic 3-hour long concert for his final tour. But hopefully, any thought of a final tour is nowhere near the front of his mind.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Bruce the Duck wrote: A more realistic final concert tour would be where he brings back ALL of the biggest concert hits that have been retired over the years: "Like a Surgeon," "Dare to be Stupid," "Bedrock Anthem," etc. And make a much longer medley including a great deal more parodies. I envision an epic 3-hour long concert for his final tour. But hopefully, any thought of a final tour is nowhere near the front of his mind.
Another idea would be a "last tour" where for each show he focuses on a different album, chosen randomly (or on a rotating schedule) for each show, and maybe also include a few additional songs (some of his most popular songs not on those albums, and some unreleased songs). It'd be cool to see a live concert representing Polka Party, but it'd probably be best to also throw in "Eat It" and "White and Nerdy" and a few other best-known hits there. Though I wonder if it'd be hard to rehearse (Al's band does practice while on the road, right?) a tour where the show isn't always the same yet has at least 14 different regular setlists.

Though even if there was such a concert where each show represented a different album (to try to get every song included at some point), I doubt he'd do "Ricky" without Tress MacNellie, or "Hardware Store" (since he has said that he won't do that one live because of the sequence where he's listing off items really fast).

But yeah, here's hoping that such a tour wouldn't be needed for many years.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

weird user wrote:Wouldn't it be cool if, if Al decided to officially retire
No. :stern:

Dave
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Bruce the Duck wrote:"It's All About the Pentiums" is the last time we saw the whole band in a music video together. :(
Is Bermuda not in the "Perform This Way" video? Or did you mean literally "together" in one shot?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I mean all three of them in the same video as a band, not just cameos. Bermuda was in "Bob," but it's not the same as their work in "The Saga Begins," for example.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Good Enough For Now wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:"It's All About the Pentiums" is the last time we saw the whole band in a music video together. :(
Is Bermuda not in the "Perform This Way" video? Or did you mean literally "together" in one shot?
I don't remember seeing Bermuda or any other band members in Perform This Way.

It's All About the Pentiums is the last one (not counting any Mandatory Fun videos) to feature the whole band (including Reuben, who is briefly glimpsed in that video). Bermuda was in Bob. I'm a little surprised they didn't put any of the band in White and Nerdy (unless I missed them).

Of course, back in the old days, there were videos to not feature all of the original three members. None of them were in Fat, Jim was missing from Gump (because his hair was too long to fit under the wig... Though he would cut his hair shorter a few years later... I read that Jim was originally going to be in that one, so it seems like if Jim was in Gump then Steve wouldn't have been), and Steve wasn't in Eat It (Bermuda appears briefly, wearing a mask and looking through a window).

And in the old days, the band members often appeared in music videos even if they weren't shown playing instruments, such as I Lost on Jeopardy and One More Minute. And Jim made a quick cameo in Smells Like Nirvanna not playing an instrument.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

weird user wrote:I don't remember seeing Bermuda or any other band members in Perform This Way.
Steve and Ruben were paparazzi.

Dave
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Jim too! I think? Is that him on the far right?

...and is that him walking by with the banana in "Nirvana"?!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Will future music videos be owned by different companies than the company that owns the previous music videos (assuming that company also owns the rights to the Mandatory Fun music videos which are funded by various websites)?