Make The Rock Hall Weird

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Make The Rock Hall Weird 2.0

Post by TMBJon »

Really good quotes. Thanks for that link, Patrick. Especially interested in how he said Top 40 radio isn't representative anymore of the actual Top 40 hits in the country.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Post by Patrick »

No problem. Hrmmm, for some reason (on my Droid at least), the photo I uploaded gets chooped off. In the paper, its spelled "Yankovich" for those that can't see it. Maybe I should get him to sign the paper next to the incorrect name :lol:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

It cuts it off because the forum has a size limit on photos. Instead of resizing them, it just lops off the extra. So... no more page stretching = good. But if you right click and view the photo, you should be able to see it all.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Okay, time for a new project!

I've already detailed this in full on the web site and on the blog and on the electric Facebook and on the gas-powered MySpace, but there are two new things folks can do, depending on the amount of time, energy, and finances they're willing to spend.

Taking a cue from "UHF," this year the item to send to the Rock Hall Foundation is the gift of a spatula. I wanted to do something fun and unique this year, as I feared that another paper product-based campaign following letters, postcards, a petition, and greeting cards might become tiresome at this point. We need to perk up the Rock Hall again. We need to get that same "what the heck??" reaction from them as they perhaps had when we first started sending them letters suggesting Al for induction.

Plus, with the economy still struggling, I felt this was a rather inexpensive endeavor for everyone to participate in. You can find spatulas at dollar stores and thrift stores, for crying out loud. Need a padded envelope? Dollar store as well. The biggest expense will in fact be the postage to send the spatula. As I'm finishing up filming for "Yankoheit 27," I will hopefully also shoot a funny little YouTube instructional video on what to do...for those of you who just can't figure out "Mail a Spatula to This Address."

The only real requirement is to make sure you attach some sort of tag onto your spatula. Have it say "INDUCT WEIRD AL" or a similar message. After all, they need to know what point we're trying to make.

And also, I know how we have many members who love to be artistic, and I figured this would be a unique avenue for that as well. I can think of two members on here right off the top of my head who I'm sure will wow everyone with their spatula decorations. And if you don't want to paint or add onto yours, that's fine. But if you do, go nuts!

I would like people to post and/or send pictures of themselves sending their spatula. I learned from the last petition drive that a fan making big promises doesn't amount to anything unless there's some proof of their work. I want to eventually have a "Spatula Map" on the web site, showing where they're all being sent from.

And I do promise, if there is proof that 100 spatulas have been sent, I will do something really stupid. Think Christo-level stupidity. Killer umbrellas, people, killer umbrellas.

Meanwhile, for the first time ever, we're going to be targeting the individual members of the Rock Hall's nominating committee. I want fans to send members of the committee copies of, what else, the "Essential" CD, to serve as part peace offering, part ammunition.

Below is the list of the current members of the nominating committee. I have noted the members that are already being spoken for. If you'd like to request a specific member, please contact me privately so we can arrange your mailing. I have contact information for most of them, and I'm actively researching the missing information for others.

Jon Landau (ALREADY TAKEN)
Bill Adler
James Bernard
David Bither
Nathan Brackett
Anthony DeCurtis
Reginald C. Dennis
Bill Flanagan
David Fricke
Elysa Gardner
Gregg Geller
Edna Gundersen
Jim Henke
Robert Hilburn (ALREADY TAKEN)
Lenny Kaye
Brian Keizer
Rick Krim
Arthur Levy
Joe Levy
Alan Light
Rob Light
Dave Marsh (ALREADY TAKEN)
Joe McEwen
Bob Merlis
Lauren Onkey
Claudia Perry
Robbie Robertson (ALREADY TAKEN)
Paul Shaffer (ALREADY TAKEN)
Seymour Stein
Terry Stewart (ALREADY TAKEN)
John Sykes
Toure
Steven Van Zandt (ALREADY TAKEN)
Craig Werner

Like how we did it with the petition tour, I'll keep posting updates of that list here as more members get spoken for.

So, any questions? Concerns? Problems?
Last edited by CatraDhtem on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I'd love to see Al in the Hall, but frankly, highly doubt it'll happen. Yes, it's been more than 25 years since his first record. There's some stuff about having to have made a significant contribution to the industry and having a sizable influence on the pop/rock charts and influence future musicians.

While I'm not knocking Al, as he's had hits, made contributions, and influenced later artists, frankly, no major label in America is signing comedy musicians. Only way I see Al getting in, at this point, would be if Spike Jones, Tom Lehrer, Alan Sherman, or Dr. Demento (who's eligible as a DJ) gets nominated/inducted.

And while I'm sure Al would like to be in there, I'm pretty sure he's not losing any sleep over it. He's made a living, has fans, and won Grammys. He knows he's made it. And I agree with the Sex Pistols and their assesment of the Hall. What with it being a pi** stain on the industry anyway.
CPFofAl
Die-hard Fan

Post by CPFofAl »

Likelihood aside, he absolutely deserves it. And he's so much a part of the culture of the kids of the late 70's onward that I believe he's probably higher on the list than some may think. I know... they don't see him as "real" rock-n-roll or whatever, blah, blah... but surely enough people bringing his name up makes some kind of difference! So here I am. Let me do what I can, so I can say I was part of making the Rock Hall a little more Weird.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. I vehemently think he should be. But, I'm not seeing any liklihood of it happening. Same with The Misfits. I don't see it happening but I believe it should happen.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

The easiest way to make sure that it doesn't happen is to do nothing.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

You sure about that? A lot of things in life happen without me doing a thing, it seems. The rain comes down without my help, I'm afraid, and my lawn gets wet though I've withheld my consent, to quote another band that deserves to be in the Rock Hall but never will...
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

there is certainly a delicate balance between thinking that al not getting in doesn't hurt his credibility in the music industry, and coming to terms with the fact that al probably won't get in. certainly the effort to get him in is noble and says a lot about al's influence in the industry, but surely all this money being donated and whatnot (as well with the star fund) could be better used, like to feed starving children somewhere! i mean, al hasn't even done a popular parody of a rock song for like 12 years.
taste is only something if it is yours.