Yankochick Central

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

chickadee
Regular

Re: Yankochick Central

Post by chickadee »

I read all of these wonderful comments and felt so validated. I saw the "Big Interview" with Dan Rather recently and Al talked openly for the first time about how badly he was bullied at school. Because he was younger, smarter and nerdier than everyone else he really suffered for it. Then, can you imagine being in a prestigious college at 16!!
That's when they called him Weird!! But I love it that he didn't crawl into a hole, he said, "Okay then, I'm WEIRD!" and became a multi millionaire, with a lovely wife and daughter and good friends and a job he loves. He's still the underdog, never gets any air time on the radio, nor as many hits as that creepy guy who does mean and vulgar parodies, but he's so nice to everyone all the time and is grateful for his blessings!!!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

chickadee wrote:Al talked openly for the first time about how badly he was bullied at school. Because he was younger, smarter and nerdier than everyone else he really suffered for it.
It didn't sound that bad to me, he said he was never/rarely (I don't remember well) beaten up. I was constantly teased and beaten up at school, and I disagree that words hurt more than fists, I'd better be teased than kicked.
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

It sounded like he was down playing the bullying, but he "couldn't play contact sports because it was just another excuse to get hit." In another interview he said his mom watched him with binoculars in the school yard, "to make sure the kids weren't playing too rough with me." but clearly he was referring to getting beat up. I agree with you getting hit must be the worst. :( :(
Capybara
Die-hard Fan

Post by Capybara »

All people react to bullying differently. I'm just glad that our dear Al decided to make the best of his situation, and is now one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet :wub:

I'm afraid the minister has fallen through the Earth's crust.
IFoundMyYankochicks
Die-hard Fan

Post by IFoundMyYankochicks »

Question for Weird Al: HOW ARE YOU 55??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Concerts Attended: The Masonic (San Fransisco) 8/29/15

Al is our supreme lord
aLuMiNaTi
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

By not doing drugs, drinking or smoking and maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle. A big part of it. Stress free environments help too.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

Stardraw123 wrote:Hey guys...I kinda wanted to tell you something that's been on my mind for a while now and I don't know where else to say this...

Recently, I noticed I've been crying a lot or getting angry at random moments during school, but when I see pictures, videos, or think about Al...I stop crying or stop getting angry...and...I'm afraid he's the only reason I'm happy anymore...I think it's probably because I started loving Al after my only boyfriend broke up with me...through text...because my "friend" told him to...I don't know...I just wanted to tell you guys this...I'm not saying I don't like being a yankochick...I just don't want to be sad all the time when I'm not thinking about him...
I was diagnosed with depression in 6th grade and Al was pretty much my only source of happiness. I would surround myself with events and things like that, such as "Al's GRAMMY Appearance" and "What City Is He In Today For Tour?", and that always helped me. And I also surrounded myself with people who had the same obsession as I did, and that helped a lot too. I think that's why/how I became a Yankochick.
What I'm saying is, you're not alone. :hug:
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
Annie27
Addicted

Post by Annie27 »

He looks so passionate about performing in this picture.
Concerts: 5/30/15
6/24/16
3/25/18
7/06/19

"I have to assume my enemies are idiots"- Al Yankovic
Devoted Al fan since the very young age of two
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted
Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Fan Artistry - Traditional (2015)

Post by Sailor-Polka-Moon »

Capybara wrote:All people react to bullying differently. I'm just glad that our dear Al decided to make the best of his situation, and is now one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet :wub:

[ https://nyppagesix.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/usa-entertainment_.jpg?w=811 ]
Those are some wise eyes that have seen so much. <333

I remember Al mentioned once that he escaped getting beaten up because he could "run really fast." ;.; So cute when he tells it, but such an upsetting reality that must've been for him.

I have yet to see that Dan Rather interview! To hear about Al getting bullied as a sweet, adorable grown man is bad in itself already, but when he was a kid/teenager... that little redheaded cutie in glasses - no. ;.; I can't think of it.

Al is the reason I never gave in on those days when I felt I'd NEVER get good at playing guitar (I'm still getting there), he's the reason I survived my friggin' EXCRUCIATING summer semester in college this year in a subject I'm terrible at, and he's the reason I don't drown into any sort of depression or despair.

"The weather's always changing, but the climate stays the same. Be the climate, not the weather."
I always remember this. <3 Lovely mind behind those lovely eyes.

*Edited this post to add the following: You guys are AWESOME! I see Al's sugary kindness has rubbed off on you! <3 Yankochicks are family and I hope will always stay that way!
Ai to warai no! SAILOR POLKA ☆ MOON!
Tsuki ni kawatte-- tanoshi mazettangeru!

8*11*15 - first concert ever ~ ♡ mandatory world tour 2015 ♡
6*9*16 - second time around ~ ♡ ♡ mandatory world tour 2016 ♡ ♡
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

You're all beautiful, inside and out. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive of each other! :hug: A lot of us here are going through the same things as everyone else is. I have clinical depression and anxiety, and I know I'm not alone in that. Al is an amazing thing to be able to focus on when things become too much to handle, and for me at least, he's foolproof. Our community is growing stronger every day because of all of you, and you're all very much loved by everyone else here and should always feel comfortable confiding in us. :flower: Happy lil yankochick family! ^_^

As a reward for you guys being awesome, here's this:

FiiIIiiiIIiirrst WooOOOoOooOorld First World PROBLEMS :inlove:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia