Mandatory Fun (Album 14) Speculation :3

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Album 14 Speculation :3

Post by Big Spoon »

I really would love to get another classic rock parody on this album, even if it's not the lead track.
And Peggy
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Al said it in an Ask Al a while ago.

EDIT: I was originally responding to someone, but the post is missing...
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

OneWAY wrote:Al said it in an Ask Al a while ago.

EDIT: I was originally responding to someone, but the post is missing...
That was my post. Not sure where it disappeared to, but no worries. That's definitely very cool, though; I'm a huge PUSA fan.

Also, just to make sure this post is still relevant to the topic, I still haven't heard "The Man", but I have heard that Avicii song where Aloe Blacc sings. That seems like it could work in the polka medley, possibly.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

So about that Album 14...
And Peggy
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

Big Spoon wrote:So about that Album 14...
There's going to be a new ablum?
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

I have two pet peeves when it comes to Al's music. That every few albums, he wastes a parody by listing current TV shows as lyrics (Couch Potato is great, but Syndicated Inc. is one of my least favorite songs of his), and that as of this millenium, he focuses at least one song if not more on technology/websites (Craigslist, Ringtone on Alpocalypse).

I realized today that Al can now kill both of those proverbial birds with one stone should he write a song about Netflix. And the more I think about the idea, the more I like it. Can't judge potential Al songs before they're even conceived, after all.
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

That got brought up before the last album too. But Als albums are pop culture time capsules, so having those types of songs makes sense.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

minnick27 wrote:That got brought up before the last album too. But Als albums are pop culture time capsules, so having those types of songs makes sense.
I don't really care what the subject matter is, as long as it goes beyond a "list" in concept. For instance, "TMZ" and "CraigsList" are both excellent songs because they contain real lyrics and jokes. "Couch Potato", "Brady Bunch", "Can't Watch This" and "SYndicated Inc" are weaker because they're just rhyming names of TV shows and there are really very few jokes. (Or NO jokes, in the case of "Syndicated").

But if he wanted to do a song about Netflix, Hulu, or any social media site it would be fine with me as long as it was funny.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I'm now imagining Al furiously fitting Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, and House of Cards inspired lyrics into Royals......
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I feel like he has gone more for (in the last handful of albums) the "I've Taken a Popular Contemporary Pop Song and Changed the Lyrics to Comment on the Proliferation of Starbucks in My Neighborhood!" route than the just any sort of subject, regardless of time period or relevance than he used to do. I miss those songs. I just really don't want to hear "Snapchat", "The Onion" or "Netflix" and would rather hear something along the lines of "This Song's Just Six Words Long" or "Living With A Hernia", lyrically speaking. JUST MY OPINION!

BTW "I've Taken a Popular Contemporary Pop Song and Changed the Lyrics to Comment on the Proliferation of Starbucks in My Neighborhood!" is the title of a David Cross track off It's Not Funny.
twitter.com/allenpwilliams