The Setlist 2011

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

weird_el
Off The Deep End

Re: The Setlist 2011p

Post by weird_el »

TMBJon wrote:Don't forget about all the publicity he is going to have to do around the time the album comes out. I assume that is exactly why he isn't touring then - so his schedule will be free to fly across the country and do Letterman if he is suddenly invited (or Conan, Colbert, Fallon... whoever)
I vote for Colbert -- that way Stephen can show off his comedy Grammy again -- the one Al didn't win.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Setlist 2011

Post by TMBJon »

Yes, there is no question Colbert would be my top choice. The possibilities are truly endless.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. ;)
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Yankomaniac wrote:my point in that was to say just because say a song like White & Nerdy was his greatest #1 hit to date, and sold so many copies, doesn't mean its better than Running With Scissors or Dare To Be Stupid.
No, it doesn't necessarily mean that, but it does mean that it has a greater chance of staying in the setlist indefinitely before (almost) anything on either of those two albums.

The fact is that we all have our own favorites that we want to see performed live, but unfortunately Al only has x amount of time per night and there are certain songs that he essentially has to do otherwise people would riot. He even had to do away with having opening acts just because his shows have become so long in order to accomodate everybody.

I might be misremembering, but I believe Al said something to the effect a while back that when he renewed his record deal before the release of "Poodle Hat," the label asked him to increase attention on the current album whenever he tours. But that's essentially what an album tour is for anyway, so whether or not the label really needed to ask that of him is another question. But anyway, it's going to stand to reason that the post-summer tour and beyond is going to focus heavily on stuff from "Alpocalypse" at the cost of older material. That's just the nature of an artist with this large of a catalog that continues recording....heck, some acts actually stage tours in order to officially "retire" songs from their setlists.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

You don't know what Al and the band will be doing, and none of this is news to me. Pretty sure everybody else knows this stuff too.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Yankomaniac wrote:You don't know what Al and the band will be doing, and none of this is news to me. Pretty sure everybody else knows this stuff too.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought in a discussion we would be allowed to...you know...discuss things without the newbie getting bored with pesky information that goes deeper than "Wow I like this song."
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well I appreciate your thoughts Greg
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Im not getting bored, just wanted to let you know that stuff is well known thats all. Anyways, any band can play 6 to 8 new songs and still play a few classic songs in the midst. My only point is that he should not take out Dare To Be Stupid, or Money For Nothing, or Another One Rides The Bus. Just like Yoda and Fat those songs should always be done, never scrapped for newer and less known material. When the shows cost a fortune like this, its not alot to just wanna hear those, and still hear lots of new songs. I don't see why he would take any of those out for material that hasn't been released yet, and he most likely wont. He probably won't change anything except he'll add PTW.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Yeah but those are the old songs YOU want to hear. Other longtime fans have a completely different set of classic tracks THEY want to hear and that list may not coincide with your list.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

In the end, it all comes down to who's been a fan longer, really.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?