7/20/10 Jacksonville, FL The Florida Theater

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: 7/20/10 Jacksonville, FL The Florida Theater

Post by TMBJon »

If anyone sees Bruce the Duck at this show, tell him I said hello!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

i went to the gulfport show
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Got into Jacksonville around 5:30. Went to eat at a Whataburger, checked into hotel, and made it to the arena by 6:45. Found Jared, Dan and Monica sitting outside on a bech, so talked to them until the doors opened for the lobby. They kept us in the lobby until 7:40, but they had the pre-show music playing out there, as well as, a TV showing what was happening on stage. That was kind of cool...

Show started right on time. Alternating songs were You Make Me Not Love You Anymore. Pre-show CD was CD 1. Al seemed to not have full energy at the start of the show, but quickly regained it throughout the end of the show. Little things seemed to be off. Ruben came in a little early on a couple segments of songs. I could hear Jim really well tonight as I was right in front of the speaker on his side. Made a lot of songs sound really cool...as you could really feel Jim's guitar...which doesn't happen that much...it's usually that way with Steve. However, that point of listening, completely blocked me out from Jon. Before Let Me Be Your Hog, Al asked Jon to do his impression of a dog coughing. Kind of cool. Lots of stormtroopers tonight. It was interesting...Vader had his back to the crowd for a couple segments of the crowd. Couldn't figure out why.

After show, it didn't take very long at all before Al came out to sign. Bus was located right on the street, so it was easy to spot. While Nancy enjoyed the meet inside the venue, after I finished talking to her...it really didn't seem like there were that many pass people...so I figured it would be a good chance for a meet. Talked to Jared, Dan and Monica outside while we were waiting for Al. We were one of the first few people in line, and were able to get out quick. Which was very appreciative, with the drive ahead tomorrow morning for Harry Potter!

Wow...Al and Harry Potter...could only happen at one place...Universal Orlando! Can't wait for this...and it's going to be awesome to be able to enjoy it with an amazing friend! Ahh...just a few hours!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

At last! My first show of the new tour! And probably everybody reading this knows all about it already...

Almost as soon as I got there, I saw Ruben, asked him about his CD. Saw him again after the show, he didn't have it with him. Guess I'll just keep asking.
Met up with Nancy just after she'd eaten, but she steered me to the good Italian cafe on the corner and enjoyed a glass of wine while I ate. Then we meandered in search of a breeze, found Steve & Ruben instead, chatted with them a bit on the sidewalk.
Cool old theater. I didn't attempt taking any concert shots, but I did get some architecture photos before & after, along with the obligatory marquee photo.

I think "You Make Me" was the biggest surprise. I mean, even though I've been trying to stay semi-unspoilery, I knew it was being performed. But I was surprised by how awesome it sounded live. That music just came rolling at us with conviction. WTG, guys.

Judging by the laughter during "You Don't Love Me Any More," a lot of people were hearing it for the first time.

And I loved seeing Dare to be Stupid live. It was in the 2002 show which was my first concert, but I had a bad seat then and the song didn't have a place in my affections the way it does now. I think Al sings it better now, too.

I know Al is a comedic musician, but comedic performers have to suffer for their art too. Which is how I would classify wearing those Craigslist pants in Florida, in July, under stage lights. But I am here to say, the suffering is SO worth it from the audience point of view. Well, at least the female contingent of the audience point of view.

And just when you thought the Yoda chant couldn't get any stranger... it got stranger. Major kudos for added beautiful randomness.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the Jurassic Park video clip and the performance of Skipper Dan go over in Orlando tomorrow. I'm thinking they'll go over big.

There was a bus-side meet & greet, and I was within 10 people of the end, mostly because I bought a t shirt first. So I had plenty of time for a nice fanly chat with this guy http://www.viddler.com/explore/raymondjackson/videos/9/ Unfortunately, I couldn't get an unblurry pic of him with Al, but at least he has his memories. And an autographed shirt, of course. I didn't need anything signed, and my camera batteries are dying, so I used my 30 seconds with fame to give Al a chocolate frog (I was at Wizarding World of Harry Potter last night) and one of my spare copies of the AlFest DVD (has somebody else also done that? Does he have a little collection of those on the bus now?) And who knows, he might sit on the bus steps again at Melbourne or Boca Raton.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Edited to add: The Craigslist shirt I bought doesn't have any of the Florida dates. So I guess I'll just have to buy another shirt. :P
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Helen, what did Al say when you gave him the DVD? I heard Dave gave it to him already so I would be interested to know his reaction.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

He didn't say anything about it. That's what I get, though, for being concert-spoiler avoidant... I become a redundant-gift giver. He asked whether the chocolate frog was a real one, I said yes (assuming he meant, as I did, that it was an "official" one-- i.e., I bought it at Honeydukes in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Islands of Adventure).

Definitely had the feeling that security wanted us GONE, so I didn't try to prolong any conversation. One of those times when security seemed to be setting rules more stringent than Al himself. "He doesn't pose for pictures, he'll only sign one item." Piffle. We've all seen him break both those "rules" on occasion. Although I can certainly see the point of only signing one item, it seems a little brusque for security to step in and prevent people from getting pictures where they and Al are both looking at the camera. And in any case, all the meeting & greeting, including bus-side, was finished by 11:30 or 11:45 at the latest, so the security detail didn't lose much beauty sleep.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Aww, bummer about the tour tees not having Florida dates. I didn't even bother to look for the merch table after my show. Didn't think about it because I still had a headache. Unless Al decides to come back to Michigan. I'll probably order a shirt from the Mothership.

As far as the concert, glad you had a good time. I was also very impressed with "You Make Me". I also loved "Dare to Be Stupid" live. The sound is amazing! So, you have 2 more shows in FL, Helen? Enjoy, and don't wilt!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
st3v3 is here
Occasional

Post by st3v3 is here »

Sorry fellow Al fans. I should have gone on here before the concert... I could have met some of you. :(
Anyway, great show. I was in S 200 seats.
I wish I could have gotten backstage passes. I haven't learned that trick yet.
Prosthetic_Lips
Occasional

Post by Prosthetic_Lips »

So, I also did not buy a shirt -- mainly because I didn't see anything on the table that was different from the Mothership. So, do we think they might update the shirts to have Florida dates? Or are we going to have to wait for a "Tour Part Deux" before we get acknowledged down here in swamp-land?

I understand they have to print the shirts in advance, and new dates are still being added, but I guess I was hoping they would be updating the shirts as they went from city-to-city, to have enough through a certain point, then get more shipped. Maybe they have to order so many in "a run" that they just had to have a cutoff, and that cutoff was pretty early.

Oh well, since I didn't get a shirt there, I can wait ... I'll keep wearing my "Al Experience" shirt until it falls to pieces!