Album Title

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Album Title

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I've always wondered this. What is considered the actual title of the album? Is it "'Weird Al' Yankovic in 3-D" or just "In 3-D"? Amazon, iTunes, and everywhere else I've seen, including here lists it as the latter, and I've always referred to it that way. But the catalogue on the Mothership refers to it as the former.
Skippy
Addicted

Re: Album Title

Post by Skippy »

I've always thought that officially it's the former, but I've always called it the latter.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

That makes sense. Kind of like the difference between "Borat" and "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakstan."
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I've always just thought of it as "In 3-D."
And Peggy
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I think it's the same as UHF's full official title is "UHF: Original Movie Soundtrack And Other Stuff"

By the time you get to the fourth syllalble, everyone's bored and wants to go home.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Mystik Tomato wrote:I think it's the same as UHF's full official title is "UHF: Original Movie Soundtrack And Other Stuff"

By the time you get to the fourth syllalble, everyone's bored and wants to go home.
Oh, yeah. Didn't even think of that example. Well, anyway, gotta go see if there's any more news about "Mandator".
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

:yay: :clap: :yay: :clap: :whoot:
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

The actual vinyl label lists the album title as "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC IN 3-D beneath the "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC artist credit. However, the cover and spine are ambiguous and suggest the title could just be "IN 3-D" due to the lack of duplication of Al's name.

Also, the back of the Greatest Hits vinyl says "If you hate this album, then you probably won't like these ones either:" and lists the title of his second album as "Weird Al" Yankovic In 3-D. So, I would say WAYIN3-D is the complete, correct title per the original LP's labels and the list on the back of the Greatest Hits LP.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I always just call it In 3-D for simplicity, but the official title is "Weird Al" Yankovic In 3-D. This is because between 1981 and 1983, there was a big craze to release Hollywood movies in 3-D. This is not the same 3-D as movies as you have now, you had to put on special cardboard glasses to watch. It was a big deal everytime a 3-D movie came out on, and they always made a big selling point by putting it in the title (such as Jaws 3-D and Amityville 3-D, etc.), or at least making it a big part of their marketing strategy (such as Friday the 13th Part III.)

So, the title was meant to reference the 3-D craze going on at the time where everything had a "in 3-D" appended on the end to make it cooler. Even the font's the same as used on Jaws 3-D.

Since it was brought up, I find it amusing that the first greatest hits compilation is called "Weird Al" Yankovic's Greatest Hits (notice the apostrophe s) while the follow-up is called "Weird Al" Yankovic Greatest Hits II. :online:

Dave
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

"Weird Al Yankovic in 3-D